Chapter 23

Chris POV

"Alright, are you ready, Allison?" Dr. Conrad said with a kind voice as he looked at Allison who smiled in agreement. "Mr. and Mrs. Wood, we'll take Oliver in right after Allison because it will not take us long to get the bone marrow." He assured us, "but it will take some time to prep Oliver and to do the procedure." He stood in the middle of the room, only focusing his attention on the four of us.

Melissa and I nodded in agreement as he continues to explain medical terms step by step. I get confused and just look over to the two, seeing Oliver and Allison holding hands as they sat in bed side by side.

While, Melissa remains standing and looking at Conrad, taking in every word making it look like she comprehended it all. Maybe she did, I truly didn't know.

Once he stopped talking, I turn to Melissa as he walks out the door to get the other nurses.

"Did you understand that?" I ask her. She nods and I feel my eyes shoot open wider and I go to open my mouth again, but then she squints her eyes. A giggle escapes her lips and a smile forms.

"No not at all." She laughs. I admired her strength, somehow, she kept it together. After she calms her sudden laughter, she turns to Allison with her bright smile and begins talking to her, and I go over to Oliver's bed.

"Hey bud." I say squatting to be at his level.

"Hey dad." He smiled at me through his pain. I saw it on his face and pained me just as much it did him. I hated that he was hurting and there was nothing I could do to help.

"You ready to be strong?" I say trying not to tear up.

"Yeah." He says after a gulp. "Hey dad, will I come back?" He says in a slight panic, but I knew to calm him because I prayed I already knew the answer.

"Of course, you are buddy. Who else is going to play outfield?" I asked him with a fake chuckle. He looked at his hands then at me.

"Dad?" He says messing with his hands. "Would it be okay if I didn't play baseball?" I stand with relief, afraid he was going to say something crueler.

"Whatever you want, Ollie." I say as I rub his hair around. He smiles with relief and kiss him on the forehead. I look over to Allison who was getting taken out of the room and I know I have to make this quick.

I look up to Melissa who is keeping it together as she watched her start to be wheeled out. I reach around my neck taking off my great-great grandfather's dog tags.

"Oliver, these made me strong when I needed them, but now they are yours. Hold on to them and know mom and I are always with you." I say putting the dogtags in his hand and closing his hand around them so he could hold them in his small hands. Oliver looks at both of us and silently smiles.

"I love you." I say squeezing his hand and slowly walking after Allison. I take one more glimpse behind me as I see Oliver turn to Melissa and start talking. This, I was afraid to admit to myself was the last time I'd see him.