Chapter 6

Chris POV

I had arranged to have Allison moved into Melissa's room, so she could be with us. I stayed there every day and refused to go home. Although, I did decide to send Oliver home with my parents, so he wasn't missing too much school. He was really upset, but I knew it was for the best.

It was the second day past the incident, and I was sitting in the room with Oliver in my lap. This was when I decided that he needed to keep going to school even though our family wasn't in the greatest place. I shook him awake and he hesitantly woke. He looked back at me with confusion as my parents got up to leave with him. I picked him up and set him on the ground. He looked at me desperately looking for answers.

"Okay, Oliver, you're going to go home with grandma and grandpa." I said placing my hands on his arms.

"No. No!" He yelled in denial.

"Yes, you are." I sternly told him. "You have to go back to school."

"But I need to be with mama!" I felt tears go down my face at his words. He was deeply upset.

"Oliver," I tried to calm him. "Mama needs her sleep that's all. And it will just be boring if we both just stay here and watch." I dried my tears and showed him a fake smile.

"But what if I'm not here when she wakes up from her nap?" His eyes widen as a tear dropped. "She'll be upset."

I had told Oliver that Mel was sleeping, so he wouldn't be consistently shaking her as she laid in bed. I was too upset to tell him that she probably wouldn't wake up, so instead I made up a lie.

"When mama wakes, I will tell her that you are at school and that you will be here to see her soon." I hushed him and wiped his single tear. "She will not be upset. I promise."

"Can I say goodbye to Allison?" he asked satisfied with my answer. I shook my head and lifted him, so he could see her.

She was squirming around but continued giggling. Her joyful face made my tears go dry and put me in a pleasant mood. "I'll be back." He told to her. I sense his gleeful smile. "Don't miss me too much." He used Melissa's humor and brushed her small hairs.

She smiled and looked up at him, as if knowing we what we were saying. I smiled knowing that whatever happened, I would have my two beautiful kids who continued to be the lights of my life.

A couple more days had gone by and I began balancing my life with Melissa and then Allison on repeat.

I would sit real close holding Mel's hand, and then later I'd get up and walk Allison around so she could see her surroundings. She was totally my girl, because every time I picked her up, she became happier.

Oliver always seemed to be the opposite. Oliver was a mama's boy and thankfully Allison was my daddy's girl. I loved it. Allison made everything better. She amazed me every day.

Today, I had decided to introduce Allison to her amazing mother.

I sat Allison on my lap and held her just high enough to see Melissa's face. She kept giggling as I tried to rotate her in my arms.

"Allison," I said, and she immediately knew to quiet down, I don't know how she did it, but I hoped she understood me. I was in amazement. "This is mommy." I said pointing at Mel.

Allison followed my finger and smiled as her eyes laid on Melissa. "She is the most amazing mother in the whole world." Allison was still looking at her with a smile on her face. I sat her on the bed so that she could touch her. Allison rolled on her back and laid next to her head.

Allison was so smart for a newborn and just overall amazing. I just couldn't believe that she was doing all these new things so quickly. I just knew that whatever happened to Mel, I finally understood why she did what she did. She made sure that my daughter was here and man, was I happy that she did.

It killed me seeing Mel like this, but without Allison, I don't know if I could have handled it. I pick Allison and hold her in my arms as she began getting sleepy.

I hear a knock on the door, and I turn to see Dr. Sherpard. I put Allison in her crib, carefully, and follow the doctor out the door. I close the door behind me.

"Any news?" I asked with some hope.

"We have good and bad news." I felt that the word 'bad news' out weighted the good. I nodded waiting to hear. "Melissa's muscles and organs are all healthy and strong, but" Ah man, that but. I thought to myself. He had to say but.

I tried to prepare myself for what was to come. "We have not seen any brain stimulations in a few days. We will be running another test this afternoon." He looked at the floor before meeting my eyes. "If there is no brain active after this test, I'm afraid we're going to have to discuss the further use of life support."

"Don't say that." I told him, anger boiling in me.

"Mr. Wood-" I cut him off.

"No, Melissa will be fine! She's strong, she'll get through this! I know it." I yelled at him. The doctor just sighed helpless at my words.

"She is strong, but we need to be realistic and look at all outcomes. That's all I'm saying." I feel myself regain my composure. I nod and thank him as I walk back into her room.

"Hey, Mel, I need you to hang in there for me, okay?" I say looking at her, still standing by the doorway. I slowly walk over to her side and grab her hand. I kiss it softly as my eyes land onto her cold, white face. "I need you to do that."