Chapter 1

Chris POV

It's been four hours and there was no update on Melissa. I was so worried that I hadn't even talked to anyone.

I heard Chyler making all the calls to our families and frineds, but I didn't care who came, I just wanted her wake up.

I paced back and forth in the waiting room, unable to concentrate. We were the only ones there for some reason. The room was empty for the night.

I was thinking of nothing and everything at the same time, and then it dawned on me. Chyler had told me something about risks. I quickly walked over to her. She was sitting in a corner chair looking at her phone. She looked up at me just before I arrived in front of her.

"Kristie and Jessica will bring-" I cut her off, not wanting to hear information that didn't concern Melissa. I didn't care who was coming, I needed to know what happened.

"Tell me what happened." I said sternly on edge, barely able to focus on her.

"We were just talking." She calmed said, "Then, she stood up and just fell." Her voice cracked slightly, and she cleared her throat instantly, "I ran to her and she pointed at her chair. There was blood, a lot of it." She paused looking at her hands. I thought of the last pregnancy, blood meant it was bad. "I started talking to her," She started to quicken her words as tears streamed down her face, "but she was trying to say goodbye. I tried to stop her and tell her she would be okay, but then she told me..." She stopped suddenly.

"Told you what?" I said emotionally angry and upset.

"At one of her appointments, a specialist told her that she had to have an abortion or there was a great chance that she would die carrying and delivering the baby." Her voice was low and fragle, and the words broke me.

"What. No. She won't do that." I felt my heart pounding uncontrollable in my chest as my breath quicken.

"Yeah, she did."

"She would have told me." I felt my breath get shorter and a sob escaped.

"And you would have said no, so she didn't." She said squirting her eyes.

"We can get pregnant again!" I stopped distraughtly, thinking of this new information. "We could have done so many things, Chyler! Why the hell did she have to risk her life for this! If she dies- I can't get another her!" I yelled throughout the ER waiting room. "We can always have another kid, but Mel- Mel is one of a kind and there's no way to get her back." I felt my body fall as I screamed at Chyler. I was mad, upset, disappointed, angry, scared, and overall hurt.

"She didn't do this to hurt you." Chyler said sitting on the floor beside of me. "You have no idea how much a mother becomes attached to the child growing inside her." She pauses, and I look up at her. I know she's right, but it hurts just as much. "Melissa has spent 8 months waiting for this baby, talking to his baby, and naming this baby."

I was confused at her words, so I gave her a puzzled expression. She must have remembered something because her face lights up slightly. "Melissa wanted her name to be Malia or Allison." She slightly smiled. Why did she want those names?

"Her grandmother's name?" I asked Chyler, but soon realized why Melissa wanted our daughter to be named after her beloved grandmother. She talked about her all the time, and I knew she had suddenly died just weeks after I meet Melissa. I knew she meant so much to Mel, and that it was nearly impossible for Mel to cope with her death.

After Chyler didn't say anything, I turned to her once more and asked "Did she say anything else?"

"She wanted me to tell you she loved you." I felt tears come out of my eyes and I leaned my head on Chyler's shoulder. She cried with me. I heard someone coming near us, but I didn't feel like looking up.

I was so heartbroken, and it just hurt so bad to know that Melissa might not be okay, but then I felt the little arms wrap around me. A rush of relief ran over by his touch

I lifted my head and saw Oliver. He was smiling, and obviously had no idea what had happened, as he just stood there hugging me. I lifted my hand and held his head against my chest. I feared what to tell him. Would I lie to him and say his mom would be okay or tell him the truth and crush his hope and innocence.