Chapter 4

Chris POV

After Dr. Shepard left, I saw Kristin, Jessie, and both sets of parents come in front of me. I was looking at them through my tears. They were waiting for words that I couldn't find. I could barely stop myself from crying.

"Melissa is in a coma." I said as I looked at each of their expressions. I hear Melissa's mom wail as she heard the news. Kristin and Jessie look at me as if it wasn't true, waiting for the real news.

And then, my parents moved closer to me and I feel my mother's hand wrap around mine. I felt broken. I felt like my heart shattered into pieces that were unfixable.

Although, they were all going through the same thing, I felt utterly lost. I felt my eyes fly over to where Oliver was just minutes before.

He was gone. I quickly move out of the circle of us and frantically look around the room. He was gone. I could feel everyone's eyes on me. As I started to turn my head in the direction of the hall, I see a flash of a little kid from the corner of my eye. I quickly followed behind as I saw Oliver running down the hallway.

"Oliver!" I yelled still chasing him as I passed all the rooms. He was running fast down the hallway, faster than I had ever seen him run. He was going so fast, and I felt like my legs weren't working. I finally grabbed his arm. He turned around in tears.

"Oliver! What are you doing?!" He looked at me through his tears and continued to sob but remained silent. I knew my harsh tone was wrong.

He knew the news about Melissa somehow and if he didn't know exactly what was going on, he knew she wasn't okay. I pull him into a hug, and I feel his tears seep into my shirt as he holds on to me with all his grip. I kiss his head and try to sooth him as my hand rubs his back.

After a while, I look down the hallway and then I look into the room on my right side. It was an old couple around someone. I could see from the tubes attached to the patient that he or she wasn't in good shape. Then, I turned my head to the left and looked into that room. I saw a woman. She looked like Mel. I look up at the door and it reads:

Melissa Wood

I feel my hope fade. I thought she would look better, that she would look healthier, but she wasn't. I stand and garb ahold of Oliver's hand leading us into the room.

He doesn't notice it's Melissa. I lift him on the chair and kiss his head. He curls in a ball and continues to cry. I tell myself that I'll comfort him in a minute, but I NEED to see HER.

I walk over to the side of the bed. She looks like a ghost. She's so pale and white. There was no color in her cheeks, on her arms, in her eyelids. She was too pale.

I feel more tears pour out of my eyes. I touch her hand and its ice cold. I quickly squeeze her hand hoping for a response, but there's nothing. I feel my body drop and I follow the tube that is stuck her mouth. It's keeping her breathing. It's the only thing keeping her alive.

"Oh Mel," I say crying once again leaning on her arm hoping, praying for a response. But again, there's nothing.