Chapter 24

Chris POV

I sit there. I contemplate all I could have done. I could have done more. I could have done more.

"Chris, please don't do this now." Melissa says sitting next to me.

"I'm- I'm"

"I know you're blaming yourself, but there's nothing you could have done."

"No...... No....... No, Mel" I say standing up shaking my head.

"Chris, Chris please." Melissa says standing too as tears started running down her face.

"Melissa, I decided this! I said that it was fine! I ignored Oliver's sickness. IT ALL STARTED WITH ME!" I say as tears roll down my cheeks. I continued screaming. "His stomach hurt. His stomach hurt." I feel my knees lose their strength as I fall to the ground. I rest myself on my knees. I feel a pain shoot into my chest from guilt.

"Chris, we need to have hope." Melissa says bending down beside me. "Allison is sleeping, and Oliver will be out soon. We have to believe that." Melissa says rubbing my back.

"He is my son. Our son." I say as I clutch my chest. It hurts because I know he's not okay. He may never be okay, and it's all my fault. I didn't notice the signs, I didn't listen to him.

"Chris, please, just come sit with Allison and I until he's out. Please. I need you." I look up into her tear-filled eyes. She looks like a she hasn't slept for months. She hasn't eaten for weeks. She hasn't relaxed in a year.

I start to make my way to my feet. Melissa grabs my hand and helps me stand.

"Wait uh Mel-" I say as my arm goes completely numb. I couldn't grip her steady hand any longer. I fall unable to keep my balance, but just before I hit the ground Melissa picks me up.

"Doctor! DOCTOR! HELP!" I hear Mel yell, but all I could feel is the pain ripping through my chest. It wasn't guilt. It was worse. This was a subconscious pain, god it was something else. This was it. I thought.

I put my other hand that I could barely feel on Melissa's face, which was soaked with tears and she looks down at me as I touch her cheek.

"Mel, Mel," I whispered feeling the pain becoming unbareable.

"No Chris, they are coming." She says shaking her head trying to calm me down.

"No Mel, please listen." She closes her mouth, but more tears fall down. "No matter what happens. I love you. Everything is in the safe and it will take care of you all even Ollie." I feel a tear fall down onto my face.

"No Chris, No. Don't say that." She sobs.

"You have Allison and Oliver, okay?" I could barely breath, barely get out these last words, "You are the greatest mother and the best wife." I laugh and a cough emerges, knowing everything I said was the complete truth. "You gave me a great life, Melissa Benoist. And I will always love you." I take a break from words as the feeling of pain increases. I close my eyes trying to hide my pain from her.

"Chris, Chris!"

"No matter what happens know that stupid job, was the best thing that has ever" I grab my chest as I feel it getting tighter. "happened to me." I close my eyes again feeling it get worse. "You are the best thing that has happened to me." I say quickly trying to get everything out before the I lost all the air to breath.

I see someone run toward us and I feel the last and finally words slip out of my mouth.

"I love you, Melissa."