Chapter 40: Back Together

Start from the beginning

Y/N: You've gotten better.

Oscar: *Pant* *Pant* .

Y/N: Alright let's call it day.

Oscar: No! I can keep going!

Y/N: It's not you that needs a break.

My stomach starts to growl proving my point.

Ruby: Looks like you've both gotten better.

Ruby: You both hungry? It's almost dinner time.

Oscar: Uh, yeah. That sounds good. I was about to call it a night anyway.

Y/N: Thank Oum I'm about to collapse.

Oscar: Uh, yeah. That sounds good. We were about to call it a night anyway.

Ruby: So, you've never fought before?

Oscar: Just the occasional small Grimm. Nothing like this, though.

Ruby: Wow. (giggles) You look like a natural.

Oscar: It's strange, I have only had this cane for a few weeks, but... I feel like I've had it for a lifetime. Longer, even. (pause) I sound like a crazy person.

Y/N: Guess we're both a little crazy but I use to feel the same way with my weapons.

Ruby: I mean, uh, yeah just a little. But at this pace, you'll be combat ready in no time!

I look at Ruby saddened expression as she used Penny's Quote.

Oscar: Uh...

Ruby: Well, see you upstairs.

Oscar: How do you both handle all of this?

Y/N: Hmm?

Ruby: What do you mean?

Oscar: I'm... scared. (his voice starts to crack) I'm more scared than I've ever been in my life, than I ever thought was possible. (he walks over to a weapon rack)

Oscar: I always knew that I wanted to be more than a farmhand, but this? (he places the cane in the rack) Who would ask for this?

He gets up and retracts his cane and puts it in his backpack.

Ruby: We all went to Beacon because we wanted to help people. But, you're right. None of us asked for this either. We just have to press on and--

Oscar: How can you be so confident?! People have tried to kill you! The world's about to go to war all over again! How are you okay with any of this?!!

Y/N: Oscar...

Ruby: When Beacon fell, I lost two of my friends. I didn't know them for very long, but that doesn't change the fact that they were two of the most kind-hearted people I have ever met.

Ruby: But that didn't save them. Pyrrha thought that if there was even the smallest chance of helping someone, then it was a chance worth taking.