10

"Mama!" I screamed, thrashing against the scientists grip. "You let her go!"

"Shut it, mutt!" One of the men clasped silver restraints onto my wrists then threw me on the ground.

I moved not even an inch and a sharp pain ran through me, causing me to let out a soft whimper.

"Leave her alone... please!" My mom yelled, trying to get to me. "She isn't any harm
to anyone!"

"She killed half of the people in this building. I believe she's a great harm to all of us."

"It's called defense! You attack her mother, how else is she supposed to react?" Mama fought back, glaring at them.

"She should've been an obedient little girl and did as we said," he snapped back, grabbing my hair.

I screamed through the tape before hissing in pain from the restraints. They picked up my mom by her arms while forcing me to watch them drag her away.

"No! Let me go!" I let out a scream while the windows shattered from the cause. All
of the scientists automatically got defensive and dragged me away as well.

I got tossed into a cell then felt a sharp sting in my neck before darkness covered my vision.

Jumping awake, gasping for air, I held my chest and felt the tears sting my eyes. I was no longer on the bed, I was sitting upward on the floor with my knees to my chest.

"Stop it... stop it!"

You're the reason she's gone, Skylar...

It's all your fault

She's gone because of you!

SHE COULD BE DEAD BECAUSE OF YOU!

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry. Mama, I'm sorry! I-I didn't mean to—" The tears poured out as my grip on my hair got tighter. It became hard to breathe as I felt my body fall to the floor.

Skylar? What's wrong? Lukas' voice popped into my head, his voice laced with worry.

Not being able to answer, I started panting, trying to get air into my lungs. The tears continued to fall down my cheeks as my chest began to tighten.

The door slammed open, making me turn my head. Lukas came in and scooped me up into his arms, holding me to his chest and slowly rocking me back and forth. I grabbed onto his shirt and cried into it, feeling the pain start to cease.

"It's okay, it's okay. You're alright," he cooed, placing small kisses to my forehead.

"I killed her..." I whispered, biting my lip. "She's gone because of me and now I can't get her back."

The tears spilled out even harder when Lukas held me tighter and whispered sweet nothings into my ear. Our bond was getting stronger and sadly all I could feel was my pain combined with his hurt and worry.

My pained cries turned into sobs before it was just shallow breathing. Lukas picked me up and placed into the bed and pulled the covers over me.

I grabbed his arm when he began to walk out and I immediately felt nervous. My grip slowly loosened before it fell back down to my side.

I wanted him to stay but I didn't want to seem like I was asking for too much. Slowly turning on my side, I faced the wall while pulling the covers farther up. 

"If you wanted me to stay, you could've just asked," Lukas randomly said, laying beside me.

"Y-you need your rest. I didn't want to get in the way of that," I whispered back as he pulled me closer to him.