8

It was five a.m and I still wasn't asleep. I believe I slept for a couple of hours before the thunder jolted me awake. Everyone was sound asleep so I was up looking at the ceiling with the freshly washed blankets at my ankle from when I kicked them off.

I was deciding whether or not I should go on a walk or go and sleep in Daniella's room. That would also be awkward if her mate was in their with her. I'll be honest, the thunder was the only thing that woke me up (besides my nightmares).

The screams, pain, all of the emotions I've felt or caused in my life. They all just hit me like a ton of bricks and it soon became unbearable. Half the shit I've been through and I'm still the same cowardly mutt I've always been.

A squeal left my lips when another crack of thunder came from outside. I decided to take my blanket and just sleep in the living room on the couch. I tiptoed out and walked out of my room then quickly walked to the couch and laid on the cold leather.

I pulled the blanket over my head and covered my ears, hoping it'll help me fall asleep. Instead, it just made me stay awake for another  thirty minutes.

Go sleep with Lukas. He is your mate after all.

I barely know him.

It doesn't mean he doesn't want to get to know you. Just go in and ask if you can sleep with him — not in that way.

I gnawed on my lip, debating. We've technically just met a week ago and I don't want to seem a bother—

"You're thinking to much, Skylar." Lukas' raspy voice echoed in my head and I thought I was going crazy.

"L-Lukas?"

"You forgot we're mates, Sky? What's wrong?"

A small smile grew on my face at his concern. I slowly stood up and headed towards his room and softly knocked on the door.

A low 'come in,' made me open the door and look straight at a sleepy Lukas.

"I'm sorry, I-I couldn't sleep. I didn't mean to wake you."

"Technically, your thoughts woke me up," he grinned, sitting up. "Everything okay?"

"J-just the thunder." God damn it, he makes so fucking sputtery and nervous.

"I believe there was something you wanted to ask me," Lukas said, smirking. He's toying with me.

"Um... c-can I, uh..."

For gods sake, spit it out.

"Can I sleep with you tonight?" I asked shyly, feeling the heat creep up on my cheeks.

Lukas stood up out of bed and everything just froze. He was fucking shirtless with just black sweats on as he walked up to me. He held out his hand and I took it, allowing him to guide me to the bed.

He gently placed me on the cushiony bed then slid in after me, pulling the blanket over both of us. I wrapped my arms around the pillow and started to close my eyes until his strong arm pulled me against chest.

I sighed, laying my head on his chest, taking in his warmth. I felt safe, at home, comfort. Something I didn't know to much about. Thanks to Lukas, I could get used to this feeling.

•••

Daniella made us breakfast, which included: pancakes, french toast, eggs, bacon, berries, and orange slices. It all looked delicious and my stomach was growling, begging for some food to be inside.