The shock hit Ray like a ton of bricks.

Your Alpha? You said you were a rogue. Why have you been lying to me?”

“As if I need to explain myself to you. Quit acting like you’re so noble, you’re as feral as any of us, if not worse.”

“Don’t you dare,” he growled, “werewolves like you wreak havoc for the rest of us trying to live in peace with each other. Your Alpha Ulric, do you have any idea what he’s been up to? How many lives he’s taken? How many more he is planning to take?”

“Yes and they deserve it. They all deserve it. For everything they’ve put us through, they deserve to die!”

“They’re innocent people!”

Jasmine snickered, “innocent? Your father is innocent, is he?” Fury swept over her face, “I saw my parents die right before my eyes when I was just a child! What was their mistake? Were they not innocent? Is it not fair then, dear Noble wolf, to take our revenge?”

Ray balled his fists. He had run head first into the same question--why? Why did his father have to go on a rampage all those years ago? It was a shadow from his past that not only followed him to this day but grew bigger and bigger every time he was faced with it.

“Ulric and I, we’re made for each other. And no one--no one--can come between us. Your mate,” she looked pointedly at Robyn, “I want her dead before any of you. I want you gone because Ulric is mine, do you hear me?” Jasmine growled.

“I don’t know what it is about the females of Sapphire pack, they just can’t stay away from our wolves," Jasmine spat, "first it was your mother, and now you’re pathetic mate.”

Ray’s control faltered. The ground tilted under his feet, his head spinning. What about my mother?

“No. This time,” Jasmine continued, coming up to her feet, “I’m going to be the next Luna of Emerald pack.”

She moved like a bolt of lightning, zooming past Ray straight at Robyn. Ray wasn’t able to move in time, the weight of her words weighing heavy on his limbs. The scene before his eyes played as if in slow motion. Jasmine’s claws, deadly long and eager to strike, her face twisted in a nasty snarl, her eyes full of fury and satisfaction. And then the splatter of blood.

There was silence.

“Caleb…” Jasmine wheezed.

“I told you I won’t let you kill her,” he said, standing in front of Robyn like a shield. Droplets of blood had fallen onto his face. He wiped it with his forearm as Jasmine fell onto her knees with a soft thud, her eyes rolling to the back of her head.

Everything was still and quiet for what seemed like an hour. Then Ray registered the choked cries of his mate.

“Come here, Robyn,” Ray called to her. She ran straight into his open arms.

He embraced her, pulling her closer into his body. Ray buried his head in the space between her neck and shoulder and breathed her in. It calmed him down, right to his core. Not only because she was safe, but also because, in that moment, they were together again.

Just as quickly, the moment ended as she broke off wiping her tears. Ray cupped her face in his hands.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered.