CHAPTER [ 2 5 ]

With a sigh, Ray leaned back against the window frame. What had I gotten myself into? He couldn't stop thinking that over and over, since lunchtime that day. Never would've he imagined himself, Ray of the Noble wolf, to bake for some puny human children. All for good cause, Robyn had said as encouragement. If he wanted he could have left the meeting right then and there but he had pride, he was a man of his words. After all, he was the one to propose the challenge.

"Quit overthinking about that. It's just a one-off thing." Nick rubbed the apple in his hand on his thigh, "besides, there are other more important matters that need your attention."

That was true. The pack were a little edgy since they gathered new intel. They were worried and panicky, it was a state Ray simple couldn't overlook. Although he didn't fancy spending all his time in the pack house, he decided to stay that night. Just in case.

"Get your feet off the desk, Nick," Ray sighed and picked up a paper. It was a printed update for the previous week.

Scouting Unit, Captain Victor reports:
Detected several traces of foreign scent but my team and I were unable to follow it. All scents were laid at 150 metre intervals, leading up to the upper west side where it diminished completely.

Ray's eyebrows creased in thoughts.

"They purposely left their scent to linger."

Nick paused just as he was about to take a bite, "what?"

"The wolves that left the scent behind, they did it with intent."

"Well, what does it mean then?" Nick sat up straight.

It was a good question. But one that Ray didn't have the answer to. He was sure the wolves were trained to mask their scent, so the fact that they let Victor and his team detect it so easily meant they were trying to convey something. Perhaps a warning.

"Nick, do you know what's on the upper west side?" Ray pierced him with his sharp, blue eyes.

He gave it a thought. "Just woods, I think," Nick pushed his glasses up the bridge of his noise. "I'm not from this area so I don't know much. But I do know that for several generations, that area has been dense woodland, even humans don't venture there."

Ray let the paper in his hand flutter back on the table. He searched the folders, moving straight to G. It was where the Geography of all packs were documented.

Ray went through the folders, he knew one of them must have a map. This! He pulled the folder out quickly, flipping through the content to find a bunch of different maps carefully drawn over old, cracking paper.

Just as he was about to turn, a little envelope slid from between the papers. Ray caught it before it could fall and examined it.

To Andrew,

From Raina.

Another letter? Just like the previous one.

"What's that?"

Ray shoved the letter in the empty space where the folder was and walked to his desk. He would speak to his dad about that later.

"Woah," Nick leaned over the open folder in awe, "that's so cool."

"Our pack comes from the very first to ever exist."

The boys looked over to find Andrew standing at the door. He welcomed himself further into the room and joined Ray and Nick around the table.

"That's why, we hold the privilege to archive the thousands of years of knowledge and discoveries," he smiled kindly at Nick. "May I ask what you young lads have this out for?"