CHAPTER [ 7 3 ]

"She's moving," someone said, their voice distant and low. Slowly, Robyn heard more sounds. Footsteps. More voices. A touch on her hand. Ray's touch.

Her eyes opened. She wasn't in her room because the sheets on the bed were mint green. Gingerly, Robyn sat up, her head spinning for a second. The first thing she saw was the armchair Andrew was bleeding on just moments ago. Blood was still fresh on the carpet, glistening in a column of sunlight.

"You should lie back," Ray said, "you're weak."

Holding the side of her head, she asked, "what happened?"

"You fainted," Ray said, "right after you stopped Dad's bleeding," he helped her sip on some water. Robyn instantly felt better, energy seeping back into the body.

"Is Andrew okay?"

There was a dip in the mattress by her leg. Andrew had taken a seat there, dressed in a fresh pair of clothes. There was a strange glow about him, like he was in some angelic form. Robyn rubbed her eyes and looked at him again. He smiled at her, his skin tan like it usually was.

"I'm more than okay," he said, seeming to be at a loss for words. "You..." his voice trailed off and he chuckled under his breath, "you saved me."

Robyn noticed Will and Nick standing behind him, and Ray at her side, all looking at her like... Like? She squeezed the sheets.

Ray cleared his throat, breaking the tension, "do you want to rest in your room?"

"No," she looked at Andrew, "I want to know what happened."

For a while he didn't do anything. Then he walked to the window and looked outside through the gap in the curtains, his profile silhouetted against the light.

"I made a mistake," he said finally, "last night I left to kill the alpha of the emerald pack. When I heard that he was weak and bleeding... I thought it was the perfect chance to strike him, you know, while he's down," Andrew bowed his head, "I've fought him once before so I knew he's strong but I didn't know even at his current state he'd be able to overpower me.

"He tore me up pretty bad, huh? Revenge for what I did to his–" he stopped suddenly, from the side of his face Robyn could see he seemed tense, hurt. "I thought he was letting out the rage in his heart that he'd been nurturing for a hundred years. Maybe he wanted revenge for what I did to his parents. His pack. But when I looked into his eyes... There was no sign of him. He wasn't fighting for anybody, for anything. He was fighting for... Bloodlust."

Andrew turned around, worry had drawn deep lines between his eyebrows.

"I managed to escape somehow, because he was going berserk and hurting himself in his blind rage. I don't know what it all means..." Andrew walked over to Ray's side, "but years ago your mother, she wasn't herself either. My Raina would have never done what she did."

"Dad, what are you trying to say?"

"Maybe for centuries what we've thought of this wolf isn't true at all. I think after tonight I can at least conclude that if you're an Alpha, the wolf is stronger. That explains the difference in power between you and Ulric, and it explains why Raina chose to have a baby with another Alpha instead of staying loyal to our bond. Maybe rather than just giving power to its host, the wolf seeks for power. Maybe that's why Ulric proposed a war to be the one Alpha to rule over every one of our kind and on top of that he–"

Words were flying over Robyn's head, but somehow she understood what Andrew meant. He looked at Robyn, "on top of that he's after you. He wants your power to feed his wolf."