CHAPTER [ 1 4 ]

THE bare branches of the tree they were standing under scratched against each other as a gust of wind passed. Ray's hair fluttered around his head before settling back in its place.

"You mean, the entire pack was annihilated by Andrew?" Nick's eyes were large as two saucers.

"Yes. In fact. . . That is the reason why Daniel advised my father to leave the pack. Feeling guilty as he was, father didn't object against the pack's decision. Our pack had fought against the enemy that day. A lot of lives were taken, innocent lives. And the only reason was me,"

Ray's chest rose with a deep sigh. Nick understood, now, why Ray despised being a werewolf, or the noble wolf, rather. In his eyes, he had caused great conflict with his mere existence. But there was one thing he didn't understand.

"If the entire pack was slaughtered, then how can they be attacking now?"

Another gust of wind brushed past them.

"Some must have survived," Ray looked past Nick, his eyes distant, somewhere in their own reality, "and as for why they're attacking now. . . I have no idea,"

"Shit," Nick cussed, removing his glasses and rubbing the bridge of his nose, "this is such a mess. How are we supposed to find them? They've been able to conceal themselves like pros for a whole century!"

"That is not an issue,"

He looked up at Ray, wondering if they've already located the pack.

"We will capture one of the wolves and make them talk. It shouldn't be a problem," Ray focused back on Nick again, his eyes serious.

"What's the problem, then?" From his eyes Nick could tell something else was troubling Ray.

"There's one more thing that I noticed. In the last two years that I've been here, something like this has never happened,"

"Something like what?" Nick held his glasses in one hand as the other found its way to the pockets of his trousers.

"Attacks on my mate," Ray said simply, "she was not in danger up until last weekend. First it was the 'accident' and next it was that blatant attack. Whoever it is seems fearless of being caught. Also. . ."

Ray pushed his back off the tree he was leaning on, standing straight.

"I don't think its a coincidence that the attack on my pack and my mate started on the same time. The pack was dormant for a long time, one hundred years and now, suddenly, they come into action. That means their leader, their Alpha, has joined them and is initiating the attacks,"

"Maybe that's to get you weak. After all, a werewolf's biggest weakness is his mate," Nick suggested.

"I don't think that's it. If the enemy knows my mate, they should also know that I have had no relation with her since I found her. And if I am able to resist the temptation for this long, I don't think the enemy would bother hurting my mate to make me weak. It would be a futile attempt.

"So that leaves me with the conclusion that someone else, who isn't the enemy Alpha, is trying to hurt my mate. And I don't know why,"

Nick furrowed his eyebrows. That's true, he wondered, why would anyone want to hurt Robyn if its not to make Ray weak? What was going on?

"And that's why," Ray continued, "I decided to get close to Robyn. Not because I want to claim her as my mate, but because I want to protect her. I can't allow her to be in danger, not by the likes of us anyway,"

Nick understood what he meant. Since the beginning, humans were always involved among the werewolves without their choice. Because of their little strength, they stood no chance against the wolves and ended up dying. That was the reason why werewolves became reserved creatures. It was to protect the humans as much as to preserve their own existence.