CHAPTER [ 5 2 ]

"What? How did you...?" Robyn fumbled with words as she stood and walked towards Ray.

He smiled, looking down at her with playful eyes. He was wearing his usual attire, beige coloured knee length shorts and a black shirt, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows and two buttons undone from the top. His sunglasses were hanging there, too. On his feet were a stainless pair of white Vans.

"I came to pick you up," his voice spread warmth through her body.

"But where are we going? You never said--"

"Yes. It's a surprise, silly," he held her head in his large hands and pressed a smiling kiss on her forehead. "I've already spoken to Laila, so you can get ready. Wear something casual and comfortable. We're spending the night together," he added the last sentence in a lower tone. Then told her he'd be waiting downstairs and left.

It was six in the evening. The sun was shining bright as ever, and the air was slightly humid from the heat. Robyn decided to hop in the shower quickly and then packed a small duffel bag with spare clothes and toiletries. They had spent the night together once, in that very room.

It was on his birthday, a couple of months ago, when she gifted him the planetarium. She smiled at the memory. Robyn wondered what they would be doing tonight as she pulled her hair in a ponytail and slipped her sandals on at the same time.

She was surprised that her mum didn't argue about her being away from home for the night. Laila was busy in the kitchen and Ray and Harry were having another of their animated talks about bikes or cars or whatever it was they spoke about. Leaving them to it, Robyn joined her mother in the kitchen.

"You're really okay with me going for a sleepover?" She joined Laila next to the cooker, where a pot of stew was gently bubbling.

"Of course. You just finished your exams, you need a break," her mother replied, carefully stirring the pot, "besides, I really like Ray. He's such a gentleman."

Robyn laughed. But she had to agree. He was a gentleman, and she could trust him to never take advantage of her. She had been drunk with him, at Chloe's party, and he left her, alone and safe, to sleep it off. It was another issue that she caught him kissing Chrissy the same night. Robyn didn't know if she could ever forget that.

"Ready?" Ray was standing in the doorway, his car keys held loosely in one hand.

Robyn was still getting used to seeing his shaved head, it came as a shock every time she saw him. She picked her duffel bag off the floor, "yes." Excitement swirled inside her.

"Take care, you two," Laila turned to Robyn and hugged her with one hand, the other hand still holding a ladle, "call me if anything happens, okay?"

Robyn said yes and shouted a bye across the hallway to her brother. Ray held the front door open for her and she walked out. The evening sun was soft and golden, and to her surprise, it was a little breezy.

"So, where are we going?" She asked once Ray was next to her.

She noticed he had a different car on him this time. It was a white Range Rover. Ray held the door open for her and she climbed in. The seats were cream coloured leather, soft to touch, and a shiny blue crescent moon dangled from the rear view mirror.

"It's my dad's," Ray said as he sat behind the wheel, his seatbelt clicking. He looked at her as the car roared to life, "I hope you like camping."

Robyn smiled wide, "are we, really?"

Ray tilted his head, his eyes darting to the back of the car then to hers. Robyn followed his unspoken instruction. Piled in the boot were pillows, cushions and blankets, and decorated along the walls of the car were sleeping fairy lights.