CHAPTER [ 2 9 ]

What he loved about winter was the cold and darkness, simply because it was convenient for him. He could layer on as many dark articles of clothing as he liked and easily camouflage himself in the shadows.

Shane peeked over the back gate of the school. It was empty apart from one classroom that was still in use. It was the drama class, he recalled from the time he studied there himself. They were still in rehearsal. He smiled under his face mask, confirming his plan would work.

Holding the cold metal bars as leverage, he pulled himself up and over the gate, quickly ducking when he hit the ground. He hid behind a parked car and eyed the door to the dance and drama studio. Once he was certain the way was clear, he weaved through the car park cautiously and slipped inside the school building.

Pulling his jacket sleeve up he read the time on his wrist watch. It was just after five-thirty in the evening. He knew the rehearsal would be wrapped up any minute then, so he slid his phone out and sent Caleb the message.

 He knew the rehearsal would be wrapped up any minute then, so he slid his phone out and sent Caleb the message

There was still half an hour to go before parents evening would end. Robyn glanced back at the clock in their school's assembly hall, it was just past five-thirty. She sighed, looking around. Her team had nearly broken their backs clearing up the place for the event, and laying out chairs and desks for the teachers and parents to discuss whatever they had to discuss.

She was standing by the door, ticking off names on a sheet to keep a record of which students attended and which didn't. It was the most boring task. She would have much rather stood by one of the cake stalls, preferably with Ray since he looked so clueless on selling cupcakes. She smiled at the thought.

"You okay?"

Robyn looked up at hearing Rick's voice. "Just slowly dying from boredom," she smiled.

There were less and less visitors attending now that the evening was coming to an end. Rick gave a low chuckle, the voice somehow managing to raise goosebumps on her skin. Just then, she felt her phone vibrant against her leg. She dug it out of her pocket and unlocked it.

'Hey, can you meet me by the drama studio now? I've just finished rehearsal.' Robyn had almost forgotten Kate was still at school preparing for her upcoming play.

She smiled and replied, 'I'll be there in two mins.'

"I think I'll feel better once I get some fresh air," Robyn said, putting her phone back in her pocket.

Rick smiled at her, taking the pen and sheet from her hands, "of course. Just come back soon," he winked.

Robyn grinned and said a quick 'thank you' before heading for the door. The air was cold as soon as she left the school building. Although it was just half five, the sky was completely black with a few specks of stars dotted around. Robyn dug her hands deeper in her jacket pockets and walked faster, excited to see her friend after a long day.