CHAPTER [ 2 0 ]

THE music pounded throughout her whole being. She wanted to find a quiet corner but it was so difficult with all the people in her way. The liquid in her red cup swished around, spilling over the edges a little, as she weaved through the crowd. Her house was trashed, but it didn't matter, she would pay people to clean it, anyway.

Chloe entered the kitchen. Her mother would have a heart attack if she were to see the state of it now. It was an odd scene since she was so accustomed to seeing her house in tip-top condition. The usually shining marble countertops were littered with empty alcohol bottles and abandoned cups. Even the polished wooden floor was stained with mud from the backyard and puddles of water (she hoped). A couple walked in behind her, semi-naked and dripping wet from the pool. They grabbed a beer bottle each, waved at Chloe (the guy sending her a wink while his company wasn't looking) and left.

It was quieter there, the noise from the party dulled out a little. She tipped her cup in the sink, rinsed it and filled it with water. She didn't want another person offering her a drink at her own party. She looked out the kitchen window, sipping the water, and spotted two figures. She recognised them as they passed a garden lamp. When the bell rang she rushed over to greet them.

"Jasmine," she smiled, pulling the door wider for her to step in. Jasmine gave a charming smile of her own, already attracting attention to herself. Behind her, Chrissy followed.

"Don't complain to my mum about this mess," Chloe joked, shutting the door.

"She'd die if she sees this," Chrissy looked around, "but it's okay because it's my baby sister's eighteenth birthday!" She wrapped one arm around Chloe, pulling her into her side and touching cheeks with her. Although Chrissy was only a cousin sister, they had been close since they were girls—like real sisters.

They had a formal dinner party with the rest of their family to celebrate her birthday, and as a 'gift' Chloe's parents allowed her to throw a crazy after-party at their house.

“By the way, Jasmine, thanks for giving Chrissy a ride,” Chloe said, leading the way to the kitchen.

“It’s no big deal, you two are practically the same.”

Chloe passed them a drink each. From the living room, a crash was heard.

"Shit! What did they break?" She rushed to see, calling after her new guests to enjoy.

As soon as Chloe left the kitchen Jasmine tipped her cup in the sink. Alcohol made no difference to her. Chrissy was already a little tipsy from dinner, rattling off about a boy she met. Jasmine adjusted her earplugs, shoving it further in to block out more of the noise. Humans are so weak, she thought, and stupid.

 Humans are so weak, she thought, and stupid

Oh no.

Robyn knew she shouldn't have been laughing, but she just couldn't help it. Why was everything so funny? A couple of guys around her laughed too, pointing at the mess on the floor with one hand and covering their mouth with the other.