CHAPTER [ 7 1 ]

Robyn wasn't sure how long she was outside with Ray or how long they'd been dancing for. When they heard footsteps approaching, Ray's grip on her tightened. Music was still playing in the background but it had changed to something more upbeat.

"Are you guys coming in or what?"

It was Nick. He was dressed in semi-casual clothes, a steel blue blazer and matching shorts with a white inner t-shirt and shoes. Blue seemed to be the theme for tonight.

"Or what?" Ray asked.

Nick let out a sheepish laugh, "all right, Alpha."

Ray stiffened. A shadow had crossed his features. Sensing the sudden tension in the air Nick quickly added, "Andrew asked to check on you. It's not particularly safe these days to be out after sunset."

"Of course," Ray said, "and it's nearly time to cut the cake, too," he turned to Robyn.

Nick went back the way he came. There was silence. After a few moments Robyn asked, "are you okay?" He wasn't. She could see it. His lips were in a straight line, eyebrows pulled together if only by a millimetre. He stuffed his hands in his jeans pockets. Being called an alpha unsettled him.

"Tell me," he said, his voice soft, "how do I deserve that title?"

Robyn placed her hand on his and tilted her head, "he meant it as a joke."

"And one day he won't. One day no one would say it as a joke and I know that day is nearing. I don't know if I can–"

He stuffed his hands deeper in his pockets, hunching his shoulders. His eyebrows were pinched closer together now. Robyn raked her mind for something. Something that might help him, might lift up his spirits and make him feel like he was, in fact, worthy of that title.

"I believe in you," she whispered, cupping his cheek.

He looked at her, an expression of surprise and disbelief dawning on his face. Like he hadn't expected to hear those words from anyone, let alone her. Then warmth seeped back into his eyes. He smiled at her gently, lovingly. With a thumb he grazed her bottom lip, and pulled her closer with his other hand.

A smile lit up her face, "I know you can."

Their foreheads touched. Robyn closed her eyes, relishing the warmth of the moment, of his body, of his breath on her skin. Only for a moment–

The air shifted. A coldness stirred in the space between them, then a voice pierced the two of them apart.

"And how can you be sure?" It was a ghastly voice, like a cold, icy wind howling in the night. From the shadows a pair of green eyes sparkled. "How can you be sure you'll be Alpha?" It cried, the vibration of its voice ringing through Robyn's bones and into the forest around them.

Before they could register what had happened, a hideous beast sprang into the moonlight. It was frothing around the mouth, it's canines like two icicles and eyes black with only a rim of jade green. It growled menacingly low, saliva falling like string on the ground between its colossal paws. Its brownish-black fur was dull and lined with streaks of pink scars.

Ray stepped in front of Robyn, "go inside," he said without looking at her. She couldn't move. Flashbacks of a few nights ago streamed before her eyes. Jasmine. Chloe. Trevor. Dom.

The wolf bared its canines, nose wrinkled in a nasty snarl. It came closer, the earth trembling with each step it took. It towered over them by half a foot, the air foul with its stench, eyes never leaving Ray.

"Robyn!" Ray suddenly shouted, "go inside. Now!"

He seemed to have used the last bit of energy in him to say those words because what happened next left Robyn in bewilderment. With a thud Ray's knees met the ground. His body shivered and he let out a strangled moan. He seemed to fight against an invisible force, something Robyn couldn't see but knew had blanketed him and he was suffocating under it.