CHAPTER [ 2 4 ]

Watching from the Maths block, Jasmine didn't need to worry about being caught spying on her. Every time she saw the redhead being so lively and young it threatened her body to uncage the beast within her.

Robyn was a baby, merely seventeen years of age compared to Jasmine's one-hundred-and-eighteen years. It was a long time to exist, and a long time to wait. She had been patient and loyal, like a wolf should be with their Alpha, but realising all that time had been in vain...

She folded her arms across her front, recalling Shane's words when they spoke moments ago.

"Trust me," he had said, his voice low and static, "I won't fail this time."

Jasmine decided to wait and see.

"Caleb, you're not doing a good job trying to hide yourself from me," she said without looking behind her.

"I wasn't trying to hide," Caleb climbed up the flight of stairs and joined her on the landing. "I was just... Admiring you."

He came close to her, placing a silky strand of her hair behind her ear. Jasmine pushed his hand away.

"What do you need?"

Caleb smirked knowingly, "just needed to see you. Since I understand you the best, I need to make sure you're not being too hasty with..." His eyes drifted off towards Robyn.

"I know what I'm doing," Jasmine watched him sideways. "You don't need to look out for me."

He slid his hand across the small of her back and came closer until his breath fanned her face. "But I want to."

Jasmine turned to face him fully. She snaked her fingers through the hair at the nape of his neck, tugging at them until his shoulders and neck were stiff with tension. She could sense that he was aroused slightly, so she fuelled that by inching closer and said in a low voice, "Caleb."

He sucked a breath in, looking at her with hooded eyes. She stared at him with an empty gaze, "stay out of my way." Her voice was soft yet threatening enough to have the hair on Caleb's arms stand on end.

"Or else..?" he gave a lopsided smile, still held by his hair.

Jasmine relaxed her fingers, grazing just the tips across his neck, throat and then down the opening of his gym polo shirt, where a bit of his skin was exposed. She noticed his heartbeat pick up but ignored it. Slowly, she extended her claws just enough for him to feel how sharp they were.

Before she could do anything else, Caleb held her wrist painfully tight. She didn't wince or show the slightest discomfort. "You won't do anything like that," he spoke close to her face, his eyes burning with desire.

They stared at each other for a beat.

"Why are you doing this to her, Jasmine?"

She gave a mirthless laugh, wringing her hand free. Jasmine turned to look outside, crossing her arms again. "It's the only way."

Caleb came behind her, putting his arms around her. "You have me--"

"It doesn't mean anything to me," Jasmine looked at him, seeing the desire burn away to sadness. "You being my mate," she paused for effect, "doesn't mean anything to me."

The buzzer went off, vibrating in the most annoying way, indicating the end of break. They heard the doors open and then the rush of footsteps and chatter. Caleb fell into a painful silence, then he nodded and left.

Jasmine turned to head to her own lesson, as she normally would. The only person she wanted was Ulric. The only person she wanted dead was Robyn. And she would do anything to make it happen.