I covered the microphone on my phone when I asked the driver to stop in front of a pharmacy. I asked him to wait for me, saying that he can keep the meter running. I went inside to look for Chaeyoung while I was listening to her talking on the other end of the line.

“I was right by the storefront when I noticed the same man from earlier lurking in a nearby post. I quickly went back inside the store and ran to the restroom to hide.”

I hurried to the restroom and found it empty. Then I ran back outside and quickly got in the cab. I told the driver the direction of the other store where Chaeyoung could be.

“I didn’t even know why I did that. I could have told the attendant since he was a young man who seemed like a good kid, someone I could trust. But I didn’t want to involve him. I called you instead. And I know it could also be dangerous for you. I’m really sorry Unnie. Just that . . . who else was I supposed to call in a situation like this? My family is a couple of miles away.” She snuffled. “Anyway . . . where are you already? I’m . . .”

“Park Chaeyoung!” I knocked on the door to the restroom and called for her.

“Huh?” She said on the phone before she opened the door, revealing her troubled appearance. “What are you . . .”

I didn’t let her finish and wrapped my arms around her. I sighed in relief at the contact. I was glad that she was safe in my arms.

“Jeon.” She whispered. “Mind telling me what’s going on?”

I chuckled at her question. “How could you ask me that? You were the one who was crying on the phone just now.”

“What?! How did you know?” She surprisingly asked.

“You still don’t get it, do you?”

“Get what?”

I grinned while shaking my head in response, amused by her. I put my phone on my ear and spoke.

“Park.” I said and the sound of my voice echoed on her phone.

Her eyes widened in wonder before she asked me to speak again, with each of our phones against our ears.

“Are you okay now?” I softly asked.

She stopped breathing for a brief moment while looking at me. “I . . . I’m really sorry for bothering you.” She looked at her phone and stared at it for a moment before she ended the call.

“It’s fine. I was actually glad you called me, mistake or not.” I smiled at her. “Are you feeling better now? You said you were sick.”

“Better is far from what I am feeling right now. But I’m sure that my stupidity effectively washed all my drunkenness away.”

“Good. Now let’s go.” I grabbed her wrist and pulled her out of the restroom. We got inside the cab that was still waiting for us. I asked the driver to drive back to the bar where I came from.

“Wait! Where are you taking me?” She frantically asked.

“I left my car back at the bar. And I can’t leave it there because it might get towed.” I answered.

“Why didn’t you drive it?”

“I was a bit drunk earlier so it wasn’t safe.”

“Oh! Okay.”

When we reached the bar, we quickly got off the cab after I paid for the fare.

“Why did the fare amounted to that much?” She curiously asked.