Karma's a B----

"Annalise, just please, I can't stand not talking to you," He whispers, rubbing circles on the back of my hand. I can't help but admit it feels relaxing and calming to be back to how we used to be... Well, almost where we used to be.

I nod my head, "Neither can I,"

"Tristan!?" A high pitched nasally voice squeals from behind him. He flinches and turns around.

"Hey, Ashley," He wheezes out as she hugs the life out of him. Closing my eyes, I let out a breath and listen to their conversation.

"Come on boo-bear, come sit with us! I miss your kissies!" She pouted like a little nine year old.

"Wha-?" He questions. But he doesn't have time to say another thing, for she crashed her lips against his, grabbing his shirt and pulling her closer to him. Finally, they break apart and Tristan is pulled by Ashley down to her circle of "friends".

Rolling my lips back into my mouth, a stray tear falls down my cheek. The last tear that I can allow to come out. Because from now on, I refuse to show my weakness. I'm not going to be hurt by others anymore. I'm done with that.

Within ten more minutes, the power comes back on and we're free to roam around. Though, we still can't return to classes, I go to my last class of the day -- freestyle. It's an elective class I'd chosen where I could sing whatever I wanted to in a small room by myself.

Taking my normal booth, I began to dance my fingers along the keys of the piano. Soon the notes and lyrics of Fallin' by Alicia Keys came out and I sang to the song. After striking the last note, I looked up and stared at the portrait on the bland wall in front of me.

When I walked out of the practice room, I tripped over something, well, someone.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't-- Annalise," Tristan breathes, "I am so sorry. She's my ex, I have no clue, I didn't know!" He rambles and I stop him.

"Shut up Tristan," I almost shout at him. Gaining back my composure, I calmly speak, "You've had your second chance and, well, Karma's a b*tch," With one last shrug, I walk out and leave him standing there.

Did I feel bad? Sure. Should I have gone through with that? Maybe, maybe not. Did he deserve that? Oh, hell yes.

(*THREE WEEKS LATER*)

Graduation day. I couldn't believe it was already here, the day I graduate with top honors from high school. I was the valedictorian for the Class of 2012. And in all honesty, it felt amazing. Looking out to the crowd, I saw my brothers and mother sitting in the middle of the front row -- proud as ever.

"And now, for our speech from our valedictorian, Annalise Robins!" Our principal announced. There was a round of applause and I took my place up at the podium. I placed my fake smile on and looked out to the crowd.

"Good afternoon, my name is Annalise Robins," I start, "First off, I'd like to thank my family and teachers for helping me through hard times in both life and school. Now, I know that we'll all be headed off to different colleges soon but I'd just like to say that this probably was one of the best and one of the worst years of my life. But I've learned a lot from it, and I realized that everyone here is different. But we all attend this high school, and we are all Westbrook High School Jaguars. Once a jaguar, always a jaguar,"

Once I had concluded my speech, I sat back down in my seat and waited for diplomas to be handed out. Finally, after an excruciating half hour, my name was called. My family and I skipped the reception afterwards and headed home. Waiting on my doorstep was a bouquet of flowers. Picking them up, I noticed they were all red roses besides a white one in the middle. I pulled out the card that read;

Annalise; please meet me at the park. 8:30 pm. -T.

I quickly hid the agony inside of me and continued to celebrate with my family. Once the clock struck 8:15, I changed into a pair of shorts and a floral blouse. I slipped on a pair of flip flops, calling over my shoulder, "I'm going on a walk. Be back later!"

Why was I going to meet him? I constantly questioned myself. As I walked down the road, I could almost feel the ground vibrating and figured someone was throwing some wild celebration party right now.

The moment I set foot on the park and made eye contact with Tristan, my constantly asked question was answered. I missed him, and he needs to know why everything that's happened between us has happened. He needs to know about my past -- but I wasn't sure if I was ready to tell him. Not until he was ready to tell me about his.