Tragedy and Loss

**Two Months Later**

"Hey, Goose," Tristan greeted me as he walked up to me, outside.

"Hey, you ready?" I ask, and he nods.

As we drive along the roads, Tristan stares out the window, "I haven't seen her in ages. She probably hates me now,"

"No she doesn't. I'm sure she misses you and can't wait to see you," I answer.

"But Lily doesn't get what's been going on!" He exclaims.

"She'll understand," I reply calmly, "Lily's been very reasonable and calm lately,"

"Because she knows what's wrong with her," He muttered.

"She deserved to know!"

"You could've laid it on lighter!"

"It was the easiest way!"

"Just because it's easier, doesn't mean it's the best way," Tristan retorts.

"Says you," I mutter.

He scoffed and I laughed at him. Sometimes our arguments were so short and pointless, they were hilarious!

Over the last two months, Tristan and I have become best friends. Although, we don't know everything about each other, we understand that we needed someone to lean on, someone to cheer us up when we were feeling down.

We pulled into the children's hospital driveway, and strolled in, walking up to the front desk. Routinely, I stepped up to Milly, "Lily Angel,"

Milly gave me an apologetic smile, "Can you wait in the waiting room, please?"

The two of us agreed, slightly confused and sat in the plastic chair set up aside.

"What's going on?" Tristan asked.

I shrugged, "No clue."

"Tristan Angel," Said a nurse I didn't know, as she entered the waiting room.

He stood up and I stood up with him, together forever. The nurse frowned, "Family only, Sorry hun,"

Tristan shook his headm "She's our cousin," I nod my head and she sighs, and leads us towards a room. When we enter, it's noticably colder in here. I look over to the bed and see a peaceful, but pale, Lily.

"Thank goodness," I breathe out once I catch sight.

"Not nessicarily," She began warily, "I'm afraid Lilian has come down with a fever. An extreme fever, that cannot break. She's unretrievable at this point,"

I look over at Tristan to see him staring at his little sister in shock and devastation. He practically falls into the chair behind him and I rush to his side.

"I'll give you two time to say your goodbyes," With that, the nurse left the room without another word.

"Lily," He whispered, "Why did it happen to her? Why, God, why!?" Tears started to stream down his face, silently. It killed me to see him crying, to be in the room his sister is bound to die in. The machine tracking her heartbeat started speeding up rapidly.

Shrill squeals and beeps called in a team of nurses and they worked frantically over her, shocking her twice. They kept going, trying to keep her tiny heart being but it just wouldn't stay. Suddenly, it turned into a long flat line, telling us we had lost her. Forever.

Tristan stormed out of the room and into the parking lot, out in the street. It was twilight outside, just after sunset. No sign of cars anywhere on the road. I dash out to him and grip his arm.

"Tristan!" I scream, even though he's right next to me.

"What?" He shouts back with a roaring loudness and fierceness I've never seen come out of him.

I gulp, "It's not your fault. It isn't!" I shout as he starts to turn away, "Look at me. Look me dead in the eye and tell me this isn't your fault, tell me that Lily's death is your fault just as much as mine," I say sternly.

He closes his eyes and stares me dead in the eyes, "It's not my fault," He says quietly.

"Louder," I demand.

"It's not my fault," He said with more confidence and I rub his arms.

"There ya go," I tell him, "I know you loved Lily, and still do. But she's gone now, the most we can do is remember all of the memories she's brought to us,"

He nods, "I'm going to miss her,"

Those were the last words uttered between us before the headlights shone and the car honked. There was pressure and then pain. Lots and lots of pain, exploding everywhere. The sky became a dazzling white and I heard sirens in the distance for what seemed like forever. I felt a warm liquid around me as my entire world went cold and black.