Lily the Angel

My mind just wouldn't stay away from him. The boy who suddenly became ten times more attractive the moment he walked through those hospital doors. Lately, the only topic my head would focus on was Tristan Angel, and how he had been in such a rush to visit someone in that children's hospital.

Knowing that he didn't have a mother, and being unsure about her father, I had no clue if he had a little brother or sister that resided there. I made a mental note to check for their last name at work again today.

My alarm clock went off for the second time this morning, snooze kicking in. I groaned but climbed out of bed, nonetheless. The motions of getting ready for school were an old routine, and I was driving into town on my way to school withing 30 minutes. I parked in my usual corner parking space and headed into class. This was going to be a long seven hours.

At last, the final bell rang and I was free to go to work. I stuffed all my books in my locker, thankful to not have any homework as it was a Friday. Although, she wished they had no homework on Mondays -- everyone's always slower on Mondays.

The parking lot held only about fifteen cars as I pulled in, driving my red 2009 Ford F-150. Stepping into the heated hospital was soothing, especially after a long Friday of school. Quickly, I changed into my scrubs and headed up to the front desk.

"Hey, Milly, can you check for the last name "Angel"?" I ask the receptionist Milly.

She nods and mumbles, "Sure. Room 104,"

I nod and absentmindedly walk to room 104. I open the door and realize -- this is Lily's room. Was she removed? Panic flooded me and I entered the room fully. My eyes immediately darted to the small figure on the bed, and I felt relief as I saw it was still my little Lily Bug in this room.

Confusion washed over me as I thought about what I was informed of. Lily's last name was Angel, but there could always be double. Or maybe Milly just made a quick mistake. Shrugging it off, I drowned myself in work, trying to get Tristan out of my head.

As I put the last file of information into the cabinet, I clocked out and changed back into normal clothes. I sauntered over to Lily's room and opened the door, not thinking.

She was awake and there was an older boy about my age holding her hand. He was kneeling down beside her bed, crying. Bawling even. Lily saw me and a huge smile lit up her face. She squealed out, "Annalise!"

I gave her a forced smile, "Hey, Lily Bug,"

The boy looked up and my heart stopped when I saw who it was. Tristan Angel.

"Tristan?" I asked, cautiously.

"What are you doing here?" He asked nervously, frantically trying to wipe the tears and their tracks off of his cheeks.

"Visiting Lily, I just got done working," I answer noncholantly.

"Oh.." Is all he says.

"I brought you something, Lil," I turn my direction to the child in the room. She smiles giddishly and I can't help but erupt into a huge grin.

As I pulled out the bracelet from my back pocket, her eyes glazed with admiration, "I made it during art today. I thought of you and made it, it's brown, blue, and pink. Just like you, Lily Bug," I say and she giggles as I hand her the piece of jewelery.

"I have to go, sweetie. I'll see you tomorrow bright and early though," I say and exit the room. I'm about halfway down the hall when I hear Tristan calling me.

"Wait! Annalise!" He calls out.

"Yeah?"

"Um, thanks," He said nervously, rubbing the back of his neck, "It means a lot to Lily, and uh.. Can you not tell anyone about the whole crying part..."

I smiled a little bit, "She's adorable, you know. And don't worry, who do I have to tell?"

I turned on my heel and walked to my truck. When I got home, the house was empty as usual. I just climbed into bed without eating and fell asleep instantly, Lily's sweet smile in my dreams.