Memories Sing in a Meadow

"Hi," I muttered, brushing past him. I had to get out of here now, before I broke down and he got through every single one of the walls I've built up.

"Annalise!" Tristan called but I ignored him. I just kept walking, out of the cemetery and down the block, continuing past my house. All the way until I reached a different path in the woods. I followed the winding trails, narrow and wide, not noticing any of the nature around me.

The brush grew thick and I burst through it, out into an open space. It was a perfect circle, the clearing, with the sun directly over it. I slumped down against the large tree standing in the middle of the clearing and recalled old songs my mother had taught me, before my father died.

I remembered the song of love she had written specifically for my dad, when they almost fell apart. I smiled in memory and the words came easily out of my mouth,;

Oh, we're fading,

Sadly breaking

It's a cruel life

Tonight....

The walls close in,

It's happening again,

Oh, please, baby

Fight for me

I see you drifting away,

Getting farther each day,

I fall to my knees

Give up on these dreams...

But you turn around!

See me down on the ground!

Oh!!

Fight for Me!

I'm begging you please!

Fight for Me!

I'm down on my knees...

Come rescue me

a Hero you'll be,

Oh in my book

You took...

A perfect leap of faith

There's nothing in your way!

Oh tell me how,

You're there now

I see you drifting away,

Getting farther each day,

I fall to my knees

Give up on these dreams...

But you turn around!

See me down on the ground!

Oh!!

Fight for Me!

I'm begging you please!

Fight for Me!

I'm down on my knees...

Rumors spread,

They don't end

Like a wildfire burning down...

Our house

Our life

our love.....

Will continue

All I need is you!

To fight for me,

And we'll be free!

I see you drifting away,

Getting farther each day,

I fall to my knees

Give up on these dreams...

But you turn around!

See me down on the ground!

Oh!!

Fight for Me!

I'm begging you please!

Fight for Me!

I'm down on my knees...

Save me please...

Fight for me...

I'm on my knees...

Fight, For, Me!

Opening my eyes, I took a deep breath and wiped off the streaking tears on my face. Right now it felt like singing was, for some reason, my only escape. Not cutting like it normally was, but singing, reminding myself that there are good things in life, but they're just usally too scared to come out.

The memory of when I first met Tristan in second grade came up...

"Hey!" I pouted, "I wanted the green crayon,"

"Too bad!" The boy laughed and I was mad at him now.

"That's my crayon!" I screamed at him and stomped on his foot.

"Owwie!" He cried and dropped the crayon. I picked it up smiling victoriously. He gave me a mean look, "Who are you anyways?"

"Annalise," I tell him, "You're probably Tristan. The trouble maker,"

He gave me another mean look, "You haven't seen the last of Tristan Angel, Annalise!" He promises and walks out of the coloring room.

My tiny little mind forgets the argument in seconds and I'm back to coloring my pony in, using my bright green crayon some stupid boy had just tried to take.

Just like the other day... Tristan and I never got along -- ever. So why did I think for those three short months that anything would change? I shook my head and stood up, one more month of school then I could move away and go to college. I won't have to worry about Tristan Angel anymore.

If only things worked out the way I wanted them to...