School and Work

My heart ahed as I walked into school alone, no one to comort me through these challenging times. I had lost my father exactly five years ago to a car accident -- he was drunk. Of course, no one ever cared enough to even say "I'm sorry", all of them too good for that.

Yes, it was his fault that he was driving while intoxicated, but I still lost someone very dear to me. And as if my mother even says a word to me, now.

The usual gossip was fluttering around the school, traveling at rapid paces. I rolled my eyes at the overheard rumors. Some of them did seem realistic or true, and others were just overly insane. Like the principal is a lesbian -- One, our principal is a man, and two he has a wife and three kids. I rest my case.

Shutting my locker, I headed towards homeroom and reluctantly sat in my assigned seat next to Tristan Angel, AKA the most annoying human being on this planet, even universe!

Just as the bell rang, he strutted in with a sly smirk on his face as usual. No one could really deny his good looks and bad boy charm, besides me, of course. I found this absolutely repulsive, the way he acted as if he were greater than everyone else. As if he owns the school and the pupils attending it. It got on my nerves so much!

"Annalise Robins," My science/homeroom teacher called out in a boring monotone voice.

"Here," I mumbled and went back to sketching on my notebook.

Mr. Walis wrapped up rolecall and began the beginning of his daily lectures, "Today we will be studying about animal cells and how they are reproduced and reconstructed. Please take your books out and turn them to page one-hundred and eight, we will begin from there. Now in the diagram below you'll see the reconstruction cycle of animal cells..." He droned on.

Zoning out, I thought back to the days where my father and I had danced around a lush, green backyard. Now it was just dead and brown, the only green parts were weeds and overgrown grass, too old to stop. I thought of the way my mother used to sing and play the guitar to me, beauty surrounding her golden era. If only things were still happy like that.

But now I was a senior in high school, four months away from graduating. I was fatherless and practically motherless too. She never takes up the role of a true mother anymore. The most she says to me is, "I'll be gone for a while, there's money on the counter."

She doesn't even know that I have my own car that I payedd for with my own money. That I have a job, millions of responsibilities. The fact that I'm in every advanced class possible slips her mind too, as she wants nothing to do with me and my father's eyes that I carry. Had they been her eyes, I'm sure we'd be in much better conditions right now.

The bell finally rang and we were dismissed to second period, which was Advanced Pre-Algebra for me. I honestly hated math, despised it, but had a natural talent in it. I'd only study for a mid-sum exam for about 15 minutes and get a perfect on it. This was what it was like in every class, and if you got good grades -- the teachers love you.

I sighed as I took my isolated seat in the back corner of the room, hiding away from everyone. Never raising my hand was suspicious to teachers at first, but when they saw what I could do privately, they let it slide. Most likely they understood that I didn't want to be in the spotlight.

My algebra teacher Mrs. Meeds took attendance and jumped right into the simple lesson of Polymonials, Bimonials, and Monomonials. I took the required notes, finished the worksheet that was meant for homework as she lectured, and walked to the auditorium for study hall once the bell rang.

Sitting in my assigned seat in the far back left, I pulled out my books and began to skim through the pages of my history book, trying to cram for my test seventh period. I completed my science homework and went to art as the bell rang.