Part 77: Back In Business

"WE ♡ GALAXY GIRL!" A banner flapping against Stark City Town Hall read. As she took one final patrol for the night, the Hero smiled at herself contentedly. It had been 3 days since her victorious return home, news of the events in Europe traveled back to America faster then she had. 

With Toxic and his father Mastermind locked away in Supermax, Galaxy Girl had time to really get back to the city, putting out a few fires, halting armed robberies, stopping a group of crazy animal rights extremists from blowing up a circus, she'd even managed to save a kitten stuck in a tree, as well as host a river clean up for a high school detention group just this morning.

It was good to be back. Things were going much better in almost every other aspect of her life as well. The entire Peace League had a newfound respect for her, she was suddenly more than just Captain Galaxy's daughter. Dauntless had all but entirely stopped speaking when in her presence, he kept a respectable distance.

"G. Girl..." He had cautiously approached her the morning after her return, catching her alone in the training room. She spun around so quickly and punched him down so hard that when he hit the training room floor, he cracked it. 
"I deserved that." He stated, rubbing his jaw and brushing his red bangs out of his eyes.
"I just wanted to tell you I am so, SO sorry." Dauntless couldn't meet her eyes as he spoke.
"Get away from me, before I punch you back to earth." She didn't even glance in his direction again, and simply turning back, she continued to strike at her superhero grade, pink punching bag. "Look...” The English superhero continued; in spite of her warning.
"I really don't remember much from that night. I was drunk and high out of my mind." Now she did stop what she was doing, turning her body she starred him down dangerously. Slowly he rose to his feet, dusting off his cape. 

"I know I know... that is NEVER an excuse, I've got a point here I promise." He took a nervous step back, holding up his hands in surrender.
"You didn’t fight back. You ALWAYS fight back, you always do... I should have known someone was controlling you... I should never have tried to do what I did." He hung his head.
"I'm not asking for your forgiveness, the universe knows I don't deserve it. Drugs, alcohol… love, I am the worst excuse for a superhero."
He shook his head in shame.
"I was so messed up; I almost did the unspeakable to you... and your Villain almost killed me. It took that for me to realize I have a problem. G. Girl I just want you to know that I'm sorry, and that I'm going to get help." 

Back at home, her relationship with her parents was getting better as well. She tried to make more time for her mother, in turn her father was trying to make more time for her. 
She circled around the StockmanCorp skyscraper, sending a wave to the lone janitor mopping the high rise floor inside, and the elderly man perked up immediately, smiling and waving back. Suddenly the lights went out and the old man was left in the dark.

Galaxy Girl looked down from the ultimate vantage point, and watched as all the lights in the city went out, grid by grid.  The calm serenity of the hustling city was suddenly broken by darkness, and the notes of all too familiar dramatic music, and a maniacal evil laugh.

"You all didn't really think I was going to be gone long, now did you?"
Toxic's naturally villainous voice seemed to rain down upon the city before the sky above downtown lit up with a more impressive light show than the Trans-Siberian Orchestra's. A hologram of Toxic's upper body glitches to life against a background of the starry sky. 

"Hello Stark Cityyyyy!" Toxic's live feed hologram cried out like a TV game show host, green laser lights mimicking his radiation exactly.
"It is good to be back. Might I say; you are all looking wonderful this evening." Hologram him smiled down at the city.  "Not to worry, I can fix that."
The evil genius grins, rubbing his glowing hands together.  

"Hey Galaxy Girl!?!.." his voice draws and suddenly the mass of organized lights that made up his hologram head swiveled and seemed to be looking straight at her.
"Yeah... you!" he said, with his  hand outstretched and pointed directly at the floating hero of Stark City, making every hair on the back of her neck stand straight up.
"I see you over there by that..."
The hologram’s face twitched just for second into a smile.
"...random building." He finished.

Watching for aerial traps, she zipped closer till she was face to face with the man made apparition.
"What do you think you're doing this time?" She crossed her arms in annoyance, her floating body being only about the size of his nose.
"That's for me to know and them to tremble in fear about." He leered.
"You better come and find me Hero." The hologram crossed his arms to match hers.
"Oh, and you better hurry..." he adds "let's just say the Mayor isn't getting any younger. Toxic out."
He winked before the self-destruction of whole holographic system, exploding into a cascade of green sparks before falling harmlessly to the ground.  
With a grin of her own, Galaxy Girl took off to find him.

___________________

A/N: Gahhh. The ending is so near. I hope you all have enjoyed this so far. Please dont forget to vote if you have, and leave a comment if you want to make this author happy. :)
Love y'all.
-QueenOfGeeks