Part 56: Lets Dance

"I see it!" Toxic declared, pointing to the back corner of the museum-like room. 

The molecule suspension ray, like everything else in the room, was displayed beautifully atop a silver pedestal. The barrel was designed to give the menacing appeal of a Gatling Gun. The long black tubes were wrapped and tied neatly to a black box that was to encase the power cell. It looked like something out of Ghostbusters.

"And there's the manual override switch to the laser systems." 
Galaxy Girl pointed at a red, fire-alarm looking thing at the very opposite end of the room.
"We just need to turn that off and I can just carry that thing out of here." 

"Now to get to it...” Toxic rolled his neck, stretching its muscles. 
"We could stealth to it." He explained as he began to slink his way like a ninja, sliding and stealthily flipping his way through the beams. 
"Or I could just fly through them..." Galaxy Girl levitates off the ground and as if performing an aerial ballet, twists and curves her way through the air, landing beside Toxic, as if to say... 'Your move'.

"Or..." A metaphorical light bulb goes off in his head as he pulls out his handheld from the clip on his belt.
"We could do it the fun way."
After pressing a few keys, he clipped it back and David Bowie's, 'Let's Dance' began to stream from its compact yet potent speakers.

"Let's dance." The Goblin King's honey voice begins to croon.
"May I?" He requests, performing the usual slights bow.
She raised her eyebrow at him as if to ask 'Are you serious?' 
He shot her his trademark smirk and held out a gloved hand.
"Put on your red shoes and dance the blues." The song continues.

Soon she was wearing an equally mischievous smile.
"Alright." She said, accepting his challenge, sliding her hand into his and immediately twirling out of the way of an oncoming laser.
"Let's dance to the song they're playing' on the radio."

Her eyes are locked onto his, both superhuman remaining silent; effortlessly sliding across the room to the 70s themed 80s song.
They were completely in the zone. 
His usually klutzy rival was dancing through the lasers like they were just spotlighting on a dance floor.

"Let's sway. Wow, color lights up your face. Let's sway. Sway through the crowd to an empty space."
Toxic dipped her back to avoid a laser; loving the look in her eyes when he pulled her back up. His mouth suddenly went dry. What was that look in Galaxy Girl’s eyes? She was looking at him like he was the only thing in the world. Nobody but her had ever looked at him like that.

Dammit she's so beautiful.
He groaned to himself.
Toxic spinned her into his arms; her back pressed against his chest as a laser sliced through right where she had just been standing. Just to be cruel, he traced his fingers up and down the side of her arm. 

She sucked in a breath. She could feel this incredible tension as well. 
They were less than 10 feet away now, but Toxic found himself wishing they were a thousand, so this dance could last just a little bit longer.

The villain loved the power he has over her when she's in his arms, but he was equally terrified by it. 
They were just two strides away now; Toxic found it disappointing. He twirled her behind him, and using the other hand he reached out and pulled the lever. The music continued to play even though the blue light zaps to a halt.  Thrown off by his rapid movement, she spun and landed on his chest with a thud. 

Her eyes slowly lifted to his.
Toxic couldn't take this anymore. He grabbed her shoulders and did what he'd only seen in movies. 
Pulling his Hero towards himself, the villain closed his eyes and pressed his mouth to hers.