Part 69: Break A Leg

Galaxy took one last look at Toxic, gripping the curtain and preparing to make a heroic entrance.
"Break a leg." He smirked, handing her an earpiece.
"You just had to say it didn't you!"
She shakes her head.

"Attention infidels."
Quickstep could be heard saying.
"Nobody try to be a hero and this will all be over very quickly. Our boss, sends his regards." His faux American accent executed flawlessly.

"You need to get them in range. You know my dad and his whole precise calculations I need no room for error, and that whole stigma against swivels or scopes thing. Don't worry; I'll talk you towards it."
Toxic explains. 
She took in a deep breath, pushing away the gripping fear her post-traumatic stress was attempting to choke her in. The sounds of the people in distress just around the curtain was enough to kick the lifelong Hero back into heroic mode. 

"Hey Galaxy..." he called out from behind her.
"Yeah." She turns halfway only to be pulled in a quick and unexpectant kiss.
It was filled with passion, and with all the things he wanted to say but couldn't.
"What was that for?" She asked in surprise, semi breathless, but with all her fear now gone.
"Human do it for luck." He smiled maniacally.
"Also taking advantage of our last few minutes together as partners. After this; it all goes back to normal."
His expression sobered a little.
"Go get em tiger." 

She burst through the curtains in all the Galaxy family glory; blonde hair streaming out behind her and cape shimmering the multicolored lights of the ballroom. Like a rocket, she shot across the room; knocking both villains to the ground, but the impact altered her course and also caused her to tumble to the floor, cracking the hardwood where she landed. 

Both speedsters jumped to their feet in a flash.
"You..." The dark haired woman's eyes went wide.
"It's not possible." Elena cursed in Russian down at the girl tumbling onto the floor.

"I- I killed you." Stuttered Nikolai, but in English. Galaxy Girl pushed herself off the ground and rose on one knee.
"Well it didn't stick." She shrugs, flipping her hair back out of her face. She rose to her feet with every ounce of superhero over-dramatization. 
"Hi everyone." She said to the terrified hostages.
"My name is Galaxy Girl, and contrary to the greatly exaggerated popular opinion, I am very much alive."

Without breaking eye contact with the villains, she extended her arm and easily punched through the hotel wall, with the bricks crumbling, exposing the busy London Street outside. "If everyone would please make their way to the nearest exit." She pointed at the hole she had just created. "I'll be with you all in a brief moment, I just need to take out the trash." 

From behind the small crack of the curtain that he was watching from; Toxic beamed. 
"That’s hot." Toxic said aloud to himself, but she heard him through the earpiece. She did her best to fight shooting a smile in his direction.
He had always loved it when she got all puns and ego.

A beep distracted him from the situation that was unfolding. The warning shot that Quickstep had fired into the air had hit the light above the bandstand, it now fizzled and sparked in the air. But now that the musical area was no longer lit, Toxic caught sight of a neon blue light peeping out from under the grand piano.
"I found the bomb. I'm going to jam the signal so they can't detonate by remote."
His voice sounded again into her earpiece, but this time intentionally. Toxic pulled out his handheld and went to work.

She flew towards them, and instinctively they split in a flash of black and yellow. Landing, she skid across the dance floor, turning the heels of her golden boots she expertly stopped herself like a pro hockey player. The speeders zoomed to each side of her, close enough yet not in reach of one of her bone shattering jabs or punches.

She smiled to herself, her plan was working, and the royals were now exiting the immediate danger zone. "You should have stayed dead little girl."
Warned the tall Russian man darting around her.
"You are no match for these Supervillains." Said Cha-Cha weaving and stopping just like her brother. Galaxy just crosses her arms.
"You surprised me in the dark from behind. True Supervillains have more class and a lot more style. That's not being Supervillains, that's being cowards."

"Something’s not right." Toxic communicates to her, slapping the side of his screen as if that would help.
"I can't hack this, and I can hack anything!" She appeared unfazed as they darted and stopped just inches from her.
“I just have a few questions."
She didn't flinch despite the scare tactics. She was waiting, trying to give Toxic some more time. 
"This is ridiculous." He groaned.
"It looks like I’m going to have to do it manually." He shoved the remote for the beam into his jacket pocket.
"When did this suddenly take a turn towards 80's action movie?" commented the villain to himself. "Keep them distracted."

An elbow hit her in the jaw, and she flinched but never faltered.
Punches flew at bullet speeds out of nowhere.
"Now comes the part where you unveil your evil plan." She remained a stone wall despite the tornado.
"I know what your bomb is and what it can do. But you have made no demands, asked for no ransom; what could you possibly hope would be the end result of this besides the senseless slaughter of innocent human beings?" She weaved instinctively, avoiding the more deadly hits, but still she did not fight back. 

Toxic crept out from behind the curtain with a stealth that would impress Bruce Lee. With all the lights still flashing and focused on the dance floor, and the speeders much too caught up in zipping around the place, nobody noticed the tall radioactive villain as he rolled across the floor and towards the bandstand. From behind a table he glanced at his arch-rival, watching her take hits better than Rocky Balboa. 

He smiled when he realized exactly what she was doing. Quietly he hummed the first few bars of Gonna Fly Now and watched her force down a grin. On his hands and knees, he began to crawl between the isles towards the electric blue light of the bomb hidden inside the beautiful master piano. 
As he neared the piano, he silently hoped that none of the wax from the highly polished floor would stain the front of his favorite multi-million dollar lime green jacket.  He expertly maneuvered around a wad of pink chewing gum that someone had been so disgusting as to leave plastered on the floor. 

"I know you have a bomb." Galaxy Girl expertly twirled out of the path of an oncoming fist. She glanced down at her feet in disbelief at what she’d just done.  It seemed like all the coordination and poise she had to master for ballroom dancing had been passed along to her combat skills. 
Galaxy Girl grinned at the irony. The skill was transferable.
"And I have a pretty good idea of what it can do, so mark my words, I am going to stop you." She promises 

"But what I really want to know is..."
Again she moved, taking another step closer towards the hidden ray, but a little too slow, and she allowed a punch to hit her square in the jaw, causing her to bite into her cheek. Remaining unfazed, she casually spit the blood out. "What I really want to know is why me?"

______________________

A/N: Happy Sunday Guys.
If you enjoyed this chapter please do me a big favor and comment with a smiley face. More comments help improve my rankings and help get this story in front of more readers.
Also, once this story is fully published I can only leave it here on wattpad in its entirety for a limited time (probably a week or two) so enjoy while you can and please add it to your public library or reccomend it to your followers.

Many Thanks,
-QueenOfGeeks
(Catalina)