Chapter 16

When I left the bedroom, the note was secured in my back pocket. I realize all of Elias's innocent questions about Vinco were just him trying to make sure his secret was safe.

Everyone was eating when I got downstairs. Their eyes all landed on me when I entered the room but no one said anything. Maybe it was my expression or the irritation that was clearly visible, but no one dared to say a word.

I saw Elias out of the corner of my eye but I couldn't bare to look at him. I feel sick, he is making me feel sick. I need to get out of here pronto.

"Amaya," She stood immediately, noting my mood. "Come with me, please. Everyone else, stay here. Keep your frequencies open." I motioned to the earpieces and left with Amaya.

Amaya and I walked deep into the woods, passed the paths and a few wolves who greeted us before running off. I couldn't risk anyone hearing this and I needed to tell her now.

"Athena."

I ignored her, continuing to walk, my mind jumbled and my emotions all over the place. I don't know if it was because I was walking so fast or because I wasn't answering her, but Amaya grabbed my hand and turned me around to face her.

My eyes were no doubt all kinds of shades and colors but that is not what concerned her. It was my never-ending tears that were falling down my face that shocked Amaya. I couldn't help it, I couldn't hold them back any longer and Amaya is the only one I can talk to about it.

"Athena," She gasped lightly, immediately pulling me in for a hug. "What's wrong?"

I shook my head in her shoulder, sniffling which made her hold me tighter.

After a few moments, I was finally calm enough to pull away and tell Amaya what happened. We both sat down on the forest floor while she waited for me to reveal what's bothering me.

"Our first morning at Graelind, I wrote something in my journal. I was too consumed in my own thoughts to even really be paying attention to what I was writing. And, well..." I pulled out the paper from my pocket, handing it over to Amaya who opened it slowly.

She was in disbelief for a little bit before handing the note back. "I have no words. . ."

"Rowan was right," I say, slumping my shoulders. "And I couldn't even look past my feelings to see it."

"Hey, don't do that. He means a lot to you, Athena, it only makes sense that you'd try to defend him."

I shrugged, "I guess."

Amaya moved closer to me, taking my hands in hers. "Look at me."

My eyes met hers.

"Has Elias given you any reason not to trust him?"

"Well, the note-"

"Forget about the note." She snapped. "Has he been suspicious or acting weird? Has he been mistreating you?"

"No," I responded, not really understanding what she's getting at.

"Okay then. Let's think. He's keeping a secret that obviously could mean finding Vinco. He's only shown you that he wants you and that he cares, so why would he feel the need to keep any secret from you?" She smiled while I blushed.

"Probably to keep me safe," I whispered. "But he doesn't have to. I can take care of myself-"

"I know and so does he. So if he's keeping something as big as Vinco from you, that must mean he knows something we don't. Something that could potentially hurt us, hurt you."