Chapter 9

When I woke up, I was securely wrapped in a set of arms and I snuggled closer remembering exactly who was in this bed with me.

My eyes opened slowly, I tilted my head up to get a good look at him. I was expecting Elias to be relaxed and sleeping soundly, not with beads of sweat on his forehead and his eyebrows drawn into what looked to be pain.

I sat up immediately, placing my hand on his face using my other one to shake him gently, "Elias," I whispered.

For a few more minutes I gently tried to wake him. Finally, his eyes eased open and he sat up, blankly staring at nothing in particular.

My heart ached for him. I can't remember how many times I've woken up that same way, within the institution walls trying to forget about the nightmares full of fighting and the den. It only makes sense that he is experiencing similar night terrors considering he has spent so much time with the same people who have caused my own.

I didn't speak, nor did I try to touch him. I let him catch his bearings and eventually, I heard his heart rate slow to a more normal pace, only then did I place a hand on his thigh.

"Elias." His eyes met mine, the sorrow that he felt pushing its way through my body. "Are you alright?"

I already knew he wasn't, I felt it too, but he didn't say anything about it.

"Yes." He said, forcing a smile out that didn't reach his eyes. He was always like this, stubborn. He was defiant, persistent to have his way, but it didn't always work out for him in the end, though he tried with all he had.

"Do you want to-"

"No."

I winced at his tone. It bothered me that he didn't want to talk to me about it, but what else did I expect? I haven't seen him in years, we've both changed during that time so it will take a while to know each other like we once did.

"Athena." Outside the door, one of my team members spoke in a low voice that only I can hear. "The RA's are ready for evaluation, are you doing that today?"

Right, I momentarily forgot about them. I knew that my first priority was my team and people, therefore today is the day we will evaluate, learn what we must and get out of here.

I stood up, stretching a bit before I went to the door. I opened it, smiling at Kevin who stood on the other side.

"Yeah, we are evaluating today. I'll be right down."

He peeked around me, surprise taking over his features. "You work fast." He teased and I rolled my eyes at him, my face burning.

Closing the door, I started to move about the room, stripping out of my clothes quickly. Changing has never been a problem for aeteri. We always changed into and out of whatever attire we needed to fight, regardless of who was watching. I can't express how many times Elias has seen me do so, this time is no different.

"What's happening?" He asked, confused by my actions. He seemed stiff and still a little distraught. I wanted nothing more than to help ease his pain, get to know who he is now and urge him to speak to me about his nightmares but I have a duty to fulfill.

"Evaluation," I stated, putting my hair up.

"Right now?" I nodded at him sheepishly. He sighed, standing up, wincing in the process.

I went to him quickly, gently placing my hands on his sides. "Are you sure you're alright Elias? I'm worried about your injuries." I glared down at his bare abdomen but his fingers pulled my chin up. He smiled and ran his knuckles across my cheekbone softly, staring down at me in wonder.