Chapter Three

Money. Savings. Jobs. Love. College. The five words that popped up in all Slaughter’s classes. He could hardly take it. Ever since sophomore year he had to work. Since Junior year he knew which college he wanted to go to. Since middle school he had loved. He had been saving money for years. Everything seemed to just be a review for him. He had two jobs and was about to get a third. He made more than enough money. He didn’t care about it though. All it did was take up space in a safe.

“Do you know the difference between now, the present, the before, the past, and later, the future?”! Slaughter’s teacher yelled. His name was Coach Yeller. Perfect last name for the man too because that’s all he did. Rarely did you ever hear that man speak, never less whisper.  There was always exclamation point after ever sentence. It makes things interesting he declared.

And at one point Slaughter took him seriously and tried it. What did he do? Get people mad at him. It may have made things interesting for coach but for Slaughter? It made life hell. He hated yelling. Yelling indicated anger. To Slaughter screaming indicated intense release of emotions no matter what kind while yelling was pure anger. That’s why he never yelled. He screamed.

“NOW is a present. That’s what it’s called a present.” Coach Yeller began.

“So get your little butt in gear and open it will you?”! He declared. “It ain’t going to open itself now is it?”!

Slaughter rolled his eyes.

“Coach?” One of the girls in Slaughters classes questioned.

“What is it peasant?” The Coach lower his gaze to meet hers.

“Are you saying that we need to live? Because if that’s what you’re saying. We already are. So there’s no point in telling us to…” As the girl spoke her voice got quieter and quieter. Slaughter felt pity for the girl, considering the fact that she was just trying to make a point.

“PEASANT!” Coach replied, “Not everyone understand what live means! If you don’t realize there’s a present then you’re not going to know that it exist. Same goes for the inside of the present. If  you never open it how will you know what’s inside?”

The coach paused to let the girl reflect on his words and then continued when she said nothing.

“If you live life without opening up the present that is given to you every day how will you know of the excitement that lies within the present? If you know that it is there but you choose to wait until someone tells you what’s inside then where’s the fun in finding it out yourself? Not as fun now is it?”

The coach’s eyes watched the whole room for a reaction.

“NOW IS IT?”! He repeated hoping that someone would answer.

“No, sir!” someone close to Slaughter yelled out.

Thankfully the kid answered before he did. He would of screamed back. Maybe something random. Maybe something meaningful. But—something was going to be screamed back. Slaughter wasn’t in the mood for philosophic ‘Yeller’ moments. He just wanted a straight day. No more thinking involved. Slaughtered sighed, it seemed the day just didn’t want to go as planned.