6 - the twins' intervention

Start from the beginning

“Chaeng, you already knew what happened.” I started to explain.

“Nope. You put the phone down before I can answer and you never called me back.”

Jennie and Lisa gasped at Chaeyoung’s reply.

I grabbed a few strands of my hair in frustration and told them everything.

“So you see it’s my stupid brother’s fault that I totally forgot Chaeyoung. If he didn’t distract me, I would have attended to Chaeyoung and instructed her how to cook something by herself.”

“Fine!” Chaeyoung relented.

Then I sat down on my seat and gave her a piece of my kimbap as an apology gift. And Chaeyoung rewarded me with a grateful grin in return.

Since that day, the three of us made sure that Chaeyoung won’t ever go hungry whenever we’re together. That was exactly why we risked our prim-and-proper looks as we ran to the cafe to see her. And we were happy to see her, smirking at us, at the far corner of the cafe.

When we stood in front of her, Chaeyoung quickly got up from her seat and handed each of us our favorite drinks. We all drank from thirst as she went to each of us to wipe off the sweat running down our faces.

“So . . .” She started to say with a wide smile glued on her face.

We did not let her finish and put our drinks down as we grabbed each other for a group hug. Then we walked back to the restaurant that we were heading to before Chaeyoung intercepted us.

We were halfway through our lunch when Chaeyoung revealed the truth about what happened to her yesterday.

“So I met Jungkook.” She tried to sound casual as she said it but we were all aware of how she might be feeling.

Chaeyoung already told the three of us everything about Jungkook a few days before she flew to Australia seven years ago. She told us that leaving Korea was already difficult for her, much more leaving Jungkook the way she did.

Now she was telling us everything that happened between her and Jungkook last night.

“Wait! The two of you are neighbors?!” Lisa exclaimed dramatically while standing up her seat with her hand over her mouth.

“Um, yeah?! I just told you.” Chaeyoung answered despondently.

“Unnie.” Jennie turned to me. “You weren’t aware of this?”

"No." I said, trying not to sound defensive. "When Chaeyoung promised us that she’ll actually try to move on from Jungkook, I stopped asking my brother about him. So when I suggested that place, I swear I didn’t know that Jungkook was also living in that apartment building.”

“Don’t worry Jisoo-unnie, I believe you.” Chaeyoung interjected and I choked on my own saliva from guilt.

I responded with an awkward smile before I excused myself to go to the bathroom. I went to the direction of the bathroom but I missed a turn and went straight outside. I dialed my brother's phone number, impatiently tapping my foot on the floor while waiting for him to pick up.

I shrieked when he answered from the other line, "Kim Taehyung!"

When Chaeyoung left without telling Jungkook, she thought that she was making the right decision back then. But I thought otherwise. And I knew that it might be a mistake in my part to get involved in their lives. So I promised myself that this will be the first and last time I would do something like this.

I planned everything with Taehyung. When he learned that Chaeyoung was coming back to Korea and that she was asking my help to look for an apartment, he told me to insist on the same one where Jungkook was currently residing. He said he was certain that Jungkook was still hung up on Chaeyoung. And I, myself, was curious if Chaeyong fulfilled her promise to move on from Jungkook. So Taehyung and I tried to play cupid, hoping for a fruitful outcome out of this. In any case, we had a plan B if things wouldn’t work out for the two of them.