Chapter 1

Kyma is sitting on her bed, running her fingers over her beloved larimar pendant. Her fingers smoothly glide over the petals of the cool stone lotus flower and the smooth golden pearl at its center. Kyma's fingers hesitate before trailing over to the shining platinum chain that holds the pendant around her neck. With a sigh, she releases it and the pendant returns to its place below her collarbone. Her hand moves up to the small turtle pendant her best friend gave her for her sixteenth birthday two months ago.

Its jade surface is cool as she runs her fingers over the shallow grooves in the shell that display the japanese character for luck. Feet pound along the hallway and startled, Kyma's fingers release the golden chain. The pendant settles just above the other as the door to the room flies open with a bang. Kyma's best friend Nami is standing there panting, her hair in disarray, despite being tightly held in her long braid. Kyma jumps to her feet in shock and worry.

"Nami, what's wrong?"

Nami's slightly slanted eyes water before a single tear spills over from the pools among her eyelashes.

Her voice trembles. "Kyma, I can't find Fala anywhere! And Ms. Evana won't let me go look for her!"

At this point, tears are pouring freely down both sides of her face. Kyma gently pulls her over to the closest bed in the room, which is the middle of the three, Fala's bed. She hugs Nami for a while, and slowly, her tears stop their flow and dry upon her cheeks.

"Nami, just because we have to listen to our foster mother doesn't mean we can't look for Fala. We just have to be sneaky. What we can do is-"

"But how are we going to look for her if we can't leave until we need to go to school?"

"I was about to say how, when you cut me off. What I was going to say was that we can tell Ms. Evana that we are going to go to school early and then use that extra time to find Fala, ok?" Nami smiles weakly and nods. Kyma grins at her wickedly. "Come on, we need to hurry then."

They grab their school bags and head downstairs to the kitchen. They each grab a pastry off the platter - Kyma grabbing an extra for Fala - and head out the door.

She yells behind them, "We're going to school!"

No response.

~~~

The girls are walking along the side of the road to school when Kyma see movement in the trees out of the corner of her eyes.

"Nami, you check that side of the road, I'll check this side."

Kyma walks cautiously to where she saw the movement. She steps through the tree line, and a couple meters in, sees a flicker of purple. Was that Fala? Is she okay? She steps between two young oak trees, entering a tiny clearing, barely more than three meters across. At the farthest end of the clearing is Fala, a gag in her mouth. Her purple - really, it's practically magenta - shirt must have been the beacon that originally caught her attention. She is shaking uncontrollably, her chestnut skin wet with tears. Kyma puts her finger to her lips and slips across the clearing to Fala.

She pulls her gag down, but without wasting even a nanosecond, Fala whispers hoarsely, "Kyma, it's a trap, get out of here!"

"Not without you, Fala. I'm not leaving you here."

With that, she unties her and pulls her up. There is a quiet chuckle from behind them.

"You should have listened to your little friend. Now I can have you both."

Kyma points toward the road.

"Fala, run toward the road as fast as you possibly can. Now go!" She spits out the last words as she pushes her towards the road.

She sprints off after one glance back at Kyma. Kyma sighs, knowing that Fala is safe. She starts turning around to face the person who kidnapped Fala but before she see their - his? - face, she feels a prick on her shoulder. She spins around to face him and almost falls over, dizzy. There is a syringe in his hand. Kyma's vision blurs and grows spotty. She is on the ground now, but how? When did she fall? Did she fall? What's happening?

Faintly, Kyma hears words spoken above her head, "I'll just use you then."

She can't see. What's happening? What's going on? The chirping birds and rustling leaves are growing farther away. Why? How? Is she dying?
________________________________________________________________________________
Oh, no! What's happening to Kyma? And welcome to the first book of the Sea Monster saga, guys! I hope you like it, and you are welcome to send art for it or any other of my books! My email is in my bio. Happy reading!

Oh! Here is a picture of Fala. I'll give you guys one of Kyma or Nami next chapter.

 I'll give you guys one of Kyma or Nami next chapter

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.