Chapter 60-Epilogue

Josette's P.O.V.

The days after the shooting are a blur. I woke up from what the doctors called a mini coma that lasted about a week and a half. Apparently, Jace hadn't left my side since they put me in a room. As a result, Clary had been doing his homework to ensure he didn't fair his sophomore year. When I woke up, it was around 4:30 which according to Jace, meant that everybody was in the waiting room hoping for news. After the nurse checked me out he ran out of the room to tell everybody the news. The nurse called me brave and said I had a ton of admirers. She told me tons of kids from school had come and even some police officers and all had brought gifts.

Once I got out of the hospital, I had no choice but to go back to school. Everybody acted like I was a god but it was for different reasons. Some did it because I took a bullet for Jace others because I knocked Amanda out ensuring she wouldn't shoot anyone else but most were because now everyone knew I was a Herondale. Apparently I unveiled myself before passing out. I don't remember but when I found out I thought Jace would be angry but lately, he's been focusing on being  "a brother worthy of the brave Josette". He says that a lot. I always make him stop because I didn't take a bullet because I was brave, in fact I don't really know why I took the bullet. I knew Amanda was acting suspicious and I thought she had a gun but when she pulled it out it was like I didn't have any other thoughts but to protect my little brother. 

School is the least of my worries. Apparently getting shot on school grounds gets you an automatic A in all your classes for the rest of the year or maybe it's because I'm a Herondale but the principle said I should focus on my recovery but I still have to go to all my classes.

I had to take all the stuffed animals and flowers that had been sent to the hospital back to my dorm. So that's what I am doing going through them, I find an adorable dolphin stuffed animal. I think it's really thoughtful because dolphins are my favorite animal but then I realize I never told anyone that well except for...no it can't be. I look at the card on the dolphin. My dearest Josette. I heard about your accident and I hope you recover well, it would be a pity for a soul as vibrant as yours to leave the world. -Yours forever, Theo. I immediately threw it against the wall. Why was he here what's he doing? No, he's not really here, he must have sent it through the post. Yeah, that's it. I shake it off and get dressed deciding that I could you a Vanilla Bean Frappuccino from Starbucks. Those always calm my nerves.

I walk into Starbucks and immediately feel calm. I guess I just find the smell of coffee calming. Right as I'm about to approach the counter I get a phone call. I step over towards a window and answer it. "Hello."

"Josette, where are you, I thought we were gonna hang out together." I can't help but laugh.

"We are Alec but I wanted some coffee. I'll meet you at my door which I'm sure will be packed by the time I get there. I mean literally because Jace said he would pack it up for me because I'm too injured." I laugh.

"Whatever Josie. Get me a coffee."

"Make sure my room gets packed and it's a deal. Bye Alec, love you." I hang up and turn around to go up to the counter only to run into someone. "Oh my God, I am so sorry." Thank goodness his coffee didn't get on my dress, as vain as that may sound this dress is worth like 3 grand even if I did get it for free. Izzy might actually kill me if I stain it.

"No, it's me who should be sorry. I was coming overhear because I saw a pretty girl only to hear her conversation with her boyfriend." It takes me a minute to process what he says because I'm stuck looking into his greyish-blue eyes.

"Oh, No he's not my boyfriend."

"Really, I don't know many girls that tell guys they love them at the end of phone calls unless they are related."

"Well, I have lots of guy friends and end all my phone calls with love you so." I realize how bad that sounds and feel my eyes widen. "That sounded bad. I tell all my friends I love them at the end of phone calls. It's a recent development." He's giving me a curious look and for some reason, I can't seem to stop talking. "I almost died so... I'm Josette." I hold out my hand finally succeeding in stoping my word vomit.

"Josette... That's why you look familiar, your that girl that got shot at the Herondale boarding school right, the one that saved the heir to the throne. I saw you on the news."

I look at him in shock and then feel a little uncomfortable. "Did they really put that on the news?" He nods his head. "Great I'm never gonna live this down am I?"

"You know I don't know many people that would want to live down being a hero. You are a very odd woman Josette Wayland," he laughs. I don't even register that he called me Wayland instead of Herondale, I'm too busy looking in his eyes again.

I giggle. "I'll take that as a compliment...." I wait for him to fill in his name and after a minute he realizes that I'm waiting for him to answer. 

"Matthew, Matthew Weston."

I giggle again. "Well, Matthew Weston. I have to get coffee so I can go meet Alec so."

"Right Alec, your not boyfriend."

"Right, Alec, my not boyfriend that just happens to be dating my ex-boyfriend." I raise my eyebrows before laughing a genuine laugh I have never laugh with a stranger before leaving him to go get mine and Alec's coffees. God, I've never felt that nervous talking to someone before what the hell was that feeling?

A/N: Hey everybody so it's finally finished! Yay! Like I said I was thinking of doing a sequel but I don't want to waste time writing a book people won't read. I get that some people don't know about a sequel until the read a summary so if you want me to post a summary just comment and I'll be happy to write it because I already have an idea and basis for the next book if you guys want to read it. I really hope you guys enjoyed this book and I just want to say thank you not only to the people who commented or voted but also anyone else who read the book. Thank you all so much for all the likes and comments and the support for this book. ~Jess😘😍