Chapter 31- Eavesdropping

Clary's P.O.V

By Monday morning I'm still reeling over the fact that Jace wants to date me just as much as his revelation that he's never actually dated someone before. I keep thinking it was all a dream but then I remember that kiss and how good it felt and know it wasn't. Izzy and I checked up on Josie a few times over the weekend and she's still pretty sick today but she said she'll go to class. I walk into math class and take my usual seat with Izzy sitting next to me where Sebastian sat that first day. When Jace walks into the class my heart stops as I take in just how beautiful he is and when he walks over to me my heart starts up again kicking into overdrive. Before he reaches us, however, Izzy leans over to me and whispers, "When are you going to tell him you're a Morgenstern?"

This snaps me out of my ogling. "Why does it matter that I'm a Morgenstern."

Izzy sighs. "He's not going to care or anything but think about it, Clary. You're an heiress to a fortune and he's going to inherit his family fortune so things will just be easier to deal with if everyone doesn't think you only want him for his money. Not to mention the fact that his parents were friends with yours when they went here."

I can't believe what Izzy just said. "People are going to think I'm only with Jace for his money?"

"Well obviously not the people who matter but people like Amanda see that you're a scholarship kid who starts dating a soon to be millionaire and they're going to talk."

I want to say something about this but Jace sits down next to me saying hi. I send him a smile and greet him back before I realize the other thing Izzy said and spin back to her. "Wait my parents did go to the academy."

"Yeah, they did. I asked my mom about it because I thought it was weird that I didn't know your last name so she gave me an old yearbook. I'll show you later but right now I think you should tell your boyfriend," she whispers. I think she's right but when I turn to Jace to tell him and he grins at me I can't for some reason. I know that starting a relationship off with a lie between us isn't good but he's obviously still holding something back about Josette so this can't be that wrong right?

_______

Everything was going great between Jace and me minus the fact that Izzy kept telling me I should tell him who I was. I really didn't see why it was a big deal but for some reason, I didn't want to tell him. After I saw the yearbook I asked my mom about it and she told me that her parents used their wealth to send her to school and that Luke had gone there too. It was how they had all met. She then told me that the Lightwoods and the Herondale's hung out with her. Luke and my father along with a Michael Wayland, but she only really liked Michael because she thought the others were too entitled. I decided it was a good thing she hadn't told me this because I wouldn't want my mother's prejudices to prevent me from becoming friends with Izzy and Alec. However, I decided to not tell her about Jace and me just in case.

I decided that I wouldn't care about Jace and Josie's relationship since it was obvious that neither of them had feelings for the other and Jace didn't like hanging out with her while she had her two totally hot friends, Jake and Zach, with her which was all the time. I got the impression that Jace hated those two which is why I found it so odd when I saw Jace standing in the Junior hallway talking to Josette, Jake, and Zach. I knew they hadn't seen me and I know I shouldn't be so nosy but I managed to sneak over and get close enough to hear being as I'm so short and there are a lot of juniors going to class from their lockers. When I get over it's Jace that's talking. "Look I don't know what you were into but I think it would've been easier to get out of if these two idiots didn't follow you around like lost puppies." Jake and Zach both clench their fist and look as though they are about to punch Jace when Josie holds up a hand telling them to stop.

Josie turns to Jace and says, "God Jace are you even listening? This has nothing to do with what we did it has to do with Camille. I was keeping her away but after that Saturday when me and," she pauses and glances around before saying, "you-know-who, had that fight, I stopped keeping her away. Apparently she took this as her chance to strike and sent one of her lackeys that is still a little angry I shut down their operation."

"Right well no offense to him but you told him you were done protecting him so just get out Josie, please. Don't put yourself in unnecessary danger."

"Right because you all the sudden care about her well being," retorts Jake.

Jace sends him and glare and Josie says, "I can fight my own battles thanks though Jake. And I can't get out of this fight Jace because I got in it when I protected him in Paris. I'm telling you because I don't think Gus cares about Magnus he cares about me because I messed up what he was doing so he's going to go after the people I care about and all it takes is a little bit of searching and the first link he's going to find to me is you so just watch out okay?"

Jace sighs before nodding. "Okay, I will but be careful and try not to get in trouble handling this."

Josette laugh. "Please Jace, I'm the queen of staying out of trouble it's you I'm worried about. Oh, and by the way, Jake and Zach didn't follow me here. They both left Paris before I did and I invited them here." She looks at her phone before adding, "You better get to class you only have a few minutes and I wouldn't want you to be late." When she says this I bolt managing to get to class a few minutes before Jace. He comes over and sits next to me just like yesterday and Monday.

After a few moments, he leans over to me and whispers, "I don't know if Izzy told you or not but there's a party at some freshman's house this weekend. I was wondering if you want to go. You know with me as my date?" Hearing him call me his date makes my heart soar and before I know it I tell him I would love to. He grins before turning to do the math worksheet Mrs. Cartwright just handed out. I watch him for a couple moments thinking about his conversation with Josette. Who was Camille? Who was this Gus guy and what kind of danger could he pose to Josette and Jace? What was the connection between all this and Magnus? But the most important question that I tell myself I don't need the answer to but is killing me to know: What is the link between Jace and Josette?