Chapter 45- A Day of Shocks

Jace's P.O.V.

After all the drama of winter break, I thought we would go back to school and everything would just go back to normal or maybe it would be easier to ignore. I was wrong. Every time I look at the empty space between Clary and Izzy I can't help but look around only to see Josie sitting at a table with her two friend staring at Alec miserably. I even miss Magnus, even if I hated him he made Alec happy and he is know miserable without his best friend and his boyfriend. Clary asked Magnus, after Alec said they needed a break, why he tried to lie about him and Josette and he said he was afraid of losing Alec and he panicked. I wonder if Alec would forgive him if he told him so. I told Alec that it was awhile ago and it's not like Josette is going to steal his boyfriend since he went on and on about how she was the reason they were together but he feels betrayed which I can understand.

I feel like all this drama is push Clary and I apart. Yesterday, she didn't look at me at all after lunch. I would've been worried but she was all bubbly Clary again today but I can't help worrying about the strain on our relationship. I was brainstorming ideas on how to get Alec, Jo, and Magnus to make up while talking to Clary about our math assignment when I noticed Anthony Rodriguez walking towards our table with Amanda next to him. When the hell did he get out and why the hell would they let him back in school? I don't have time to dwell on this because he stops at our table. "Oh how cute are you guys picking out baby names?" Amanda laughs like she has never heard anything funnier while I sit there wondering why we would talk about bay names.

"What are talking about?" I ask unable to help the curiosity.

Amanda looks like a little girl on Christmas when she turns to me answering, "Oh hasn't your baby mama told you? I heard her talking to Isabelle Lightwood in the bathroom about how she's pregnant. It must really suck to be the last to know Jace." I look at Clary and she shakes her head. I don't know if she is saying Amanda is lying or if she can't believe Amanda told me before she got the chance. Suddenly her eyes fill with tears and she bolts from the cafeteria. I can't help but think Amanda is telling the truth as she says, "Must be the pregnancy hormones."

Before I can full process the situation I hear Josette say, "God you really are a desperate whore aren't you?"

Amanda's face is a mixture of shock and anger. "What did you just call me?"

"I called you a desperate whore. I mean how desperate do you have to be to make up a lie like that? Are you really so jealous of Clary you want to ruin her reputation?"

Amanda sneers. "Did you not just hear me? I heard her and Izzy talking about it in the bathroom."

"Yeah and I heard that you gave the entire football team syphilis last year which I would believe if I didn't know Jace never had syphilis and Alec would never screw a whore like you even if he was straight. Not everything you hear is true." Josie's yelling now and I see Alec stand up as if to protect her from Amanda who looks downright murderous.

"Listen here you little slut. I don't know who you think you are that you can talk to me like that but I run this school bitch and Jace should be mine. Besides it isn't my fault that little whore got pregnant on the first go around."

"For the last time," Josette is no longer yelling but the quiet in her voice makes me worried, like the calm before a storm and I'm willing to bet Josette make one hell of a deadly storm. "She isn't pregnant but even if she was it would be none of your business and she would manage to be a great mother and still be a great student because she a thousand times the person you'll ever be so why don't you go off with you're rapist boyfriend and find somebody else to torment who doesn't have friends that care." With that she walks away leaving everyone shocked. Suddenly Amanda storms off and out the doors on the opposite end of the cafeteria.

As I watch her go Izzy leans over to me, "She was lying you know, Clary isn't pregnant. She was worried because she's late but she took a test. You're in the clear." Hearing this should make me happy and it does, knowing I won't be a teen dad and all, but I can't help but realize the look Clary had on her face before she ran out was a look of utter betrayal. Before I know what I'm doing I'm heading towards the doors Clary and Jo left out of.

As I enter the hallway I hear Josette's voice as I get closer I can just make out what she is saying as they are about halfway down the hallway. ""When I was your age I found out I was pregnant. It was this guy, Theo's, and he didn't even live in Europe. When I told him he was furious, though it wasn't his but I got proof. My first thought was abortion, I would make a horrible mother and I'm sure anybody who knows me would agree."

I can't see Josette but I see the shock on Clary's face as she asks, "So you got an abortion?"

"Never got the chance. After the doctor's appointment where we found out it was his and that it was twins, we got into a car accident. He was driving and we were fighting about the babies. When I woke up the doctor said I wasn't pregnant and you would think I would be relieved but I wasn't. I was broken. I didn't tell Jake or Zach because I knew they would want me to keep it and after they were gone I couldn't tell them because I felt responsible. Maybe that's why I was so close to Magnus. He was the first person I told. The only person I told until you." They say their good-byes and I can't stop thinking of everything my sister went through that I wasn't there for. I could hear that what happened hurt her yet every time I see her I'm so focused on myself I never noticed the pain behind her eyes. I realize lunch is going to be over soon so I walk up to Clary and put my arms around her.

"I'm sorry. Izzy told me what happened after Amanda left. I was just shocked I should've told them both to fuck off." She laughs and says we should get to class. I nod, I can tell she wants to tell me what Josie said but she won't because she won't betray her trust, it isn't who Clary is so I kiss her the top of her head and tell her I love her. I feel her relax as we walk to French and take our seats. The whole class I'm thinking of Josette and how to ask her if she is okay with something I shouldn't have overheard.