Chapter 53- Prom Night

5 Weeks Later

Josette's P.O.V.

It's official. My least favorite season of the year is upon us. Prom Season. I guess I don't really have any reason to hate it per se. Ever since I was in eighth grade I had been going so it's not like I hate it because I've never had a date or something but just the idea of prom makes me angry. I mean sure it was fun the first couple of times but after that, it was more of the fact that I felt obligated to say yes so I did. Despite my feeling towards prom, I was once again going to suffer through the dance at the request of Clarissa and Isabelle but as we are no longer friends I made other plans.

Jake, Zach, and Eddie had invited me to an Anti-Prom of sorts and they told me I had to wear a prom dress for it. I was planning on recycling one of my past Prom dresses until I was walking past a shop and found a beautiful, red dress that I knew I had to buy, which is how I found myself dressed for prom on my way out of the school only to run into Alec. "Hey, are you headed to the Prom?" He asks.

Before I can stop myself I snort. "Yeah, no. I'm hanging out with Jake and Zach."

"In a prom dress?"

"Yeah, apparently it's a formal hang out." I laugh before realizing he isn't dressed for prom. "Wait aren't you going to prom?"

"No. I was only gonna go for Magus but.."

"So why didn't you just ask him?" Alec had told me about Magnus' whole "just friends" things but they could've gone to prom as friends.

"I just didn't want to deal with all that tonight have fun though okay." He starts to walk away and I can't just let my best friend wallow all night so I stop him.

"No." He looks at me confused. "No, you don't get to sit around wondering what prom with Magnus might have been like. You are going to go put on a tux that I know you own at least one of and come hang out with Jake, Zach and I got it." 

He looks at me in shock for a second before breaking into a grin. "Aye aye captain," he says while saluting me.

I laugh as I reply, "Ok I'll wait here for you so hurry up got it Lightwood." He just shakes his head while he goes to get ready. After about a couple minutes I hear someone on the stairs and assume it's Alec. "Wow, it took you way less time to get ready than me which is so unfair." When I turn around I realize it's not Alec on the stairs but Izzy and Clary.

"Wow, Jo, you look.." Izzy starts.

"Completely breathtaking." Clary finishes.

I smile, "Thanks, guys." They look at me for a little while longer before finishing walking down the stairs. I know I shouldn't push my luck being as this is the first time either has talked to me since the video incident but I can't stop myself. "Clary, wait. Can I talk to you, please."

She looks at Izzy before nodding and motioning for me to follow. I do but not before asking Izzy to tell Alec where I am in case I'm not back before him. "So what did you want to talk about?"

"I wanted to apologize and explain myself I guess." Wow, I am way more nervous than I thought I would be. "I get that I shouldn't have said those things about your dad but I figured you should have the whole story. My dads went to school with Luke, Valentine, and Jocelyn that's how I knew who you were when we met. They both admired Luke because no matter what Valentine did, he stayed by his side and helped him fix it despite the fact that Luke loved Jocelyn so they were really close friends with Luke. That's why after Val died, Luke called my dads and told them about what Valentine had done. I get why he didn't tell you, he wanted you and Jon to remember him as a good man because he was he just made a mistake and he tried to make it right in the end even giving his life to do so, but when I heard Amanda saying those things about Luke letting Valentine die I had to defend him because all I could think about was my dads. I get that I shouldn't have risen to the bait but,"

"Oh my God," she interrupts me.

"What?"

"I knew everything seemed weird but she had a video so I let everything go. I never imagined she hadn't shown us everything."

"Wait, you only heard the stuff I said about Valentine?"

"Yeah, that's why I was so upset. I never imagined you would have been defending Luke. God Josie, I'm so sorry."

"Thanks but I really think you should be apologizing to Alec. He lost his sister and two of his best friends right when he needed them the most. Things are better with Jace now but still. I also think you should talk to Jace. I don't know what Amanda did but I know that whatever she did to get you to hate Jace, there is more to the story. I know my brother and he may be a dick a lot but he really cares about you Clary and he would never intentionally hurt you."

Clary looked near tears. "I can't believe I let Amanda get to me about Jace not just him but you. I'll talk to him I promise," she says before pulling me into a hug. We walk back out to the entryway to find Izzy and Alec talking. "Alec I'm so sorry I put you in the middle of all this crap with Amanda Josie told me everything."

"It's fine Clary. I figured she would but just in case I caught Izzy up." She nods and he smiles at her before walking over to me and holding out his arm. I link mine with him as he smiles at me. "Shall we."

"We shall," I giggle. We both say goodbye to Izzy and Clary before walking out into the chilly spring air. 

"So where exactly are we going."

I look at him and feel the smirk form on my face. "Why the Emerald dancer where else." We both laugh before we begin to head in that direction.