Chapter 18- Josette Wayland

Clary's P.O.V.

Izzy and I got a new roommate and we have both decided that she is the most glamorous person to ever walk the earth. Izzy is obsessed with all of her designer stuff, seriously it's like she doesn't own anything not name brand. I'm in love with her stories. She came from Paris and had been living there since she was three until her school decided she was educated enough and she disagreed so she came here. "Oh my gosh, I am absolutely in love with this makeup set!" Izzy exclaims. Josette pokes her head out of the closet where she is hanging up her dresses, she keeps her other clothes in a trunk, I didn't even know trunks were a real thing people used.

"Oh, you can keep that I don't use it."

"You're joking right?"

"Nope, you can have it you it's more for an olive skin tone anyway which I can tell you have although you do tan more than most people with you're complexion but yeah keep it. I'm usually too tan to use."

"Awesome!" Isabell exclaims at the same time I ask "Why did you buy something that doesn't match your skin tone?"

"Oh, I didn't buy it came as part of a free sample I got."

"This is a sample? Where are you getting your samples from because I definitely need to go there." Josette laughs and the sound is so melodic it makes me feel self-conscious about my laugh.

"I don't think the normal samples are that big but my Papa owns the company so they give me samples all the time so I'll be sure to share with you, Isabelle." As Josette walks back into the closet Izzy looks at me with wide eyes before Josette adds, "I also get samples from Sephora."

"Holy shit your dad owns Sephora?"

Josette laughs again. "No, but he's great friends with the owner and has lots of stock in it." Suddenly her shoulders stiffen and she says, "I mean did." I share a glance with Izzy. I wonder what happened but before I can tell her not to Izzy asks what happened and if they had a fight. "No um, my dads died it's actually why I came to America instead of staying in Europe too many bad memories you know." I can tell she's trying not to cry from the quiver in her voice and I want to hug her but before I get the chance she comes out of the closet having finished hanging up her clothes. "Well Izzy that should be all of the dresses but if you want skirts, shorts, or jeans I have plenty in my trunk and we seem to wear about the same sized shoe so borrow whatever shoes you want as well." Izzy looks like a little kid on Christmas morning as she makes her way to the closet to go over the dresses and shoes. "Hey, Starkweather called you Fairchild right?"

"Yeah," I answer confused until she continues.

"Right and Izzy called you Clary short for Clarissa. Oh, I know where I recognize the name you're Jocelyn and Valentine Morgenstern's daughter. My dads were friends with them." Izzy shoots out of the closet at this.

"Wait did you just say, Morgenstern? As in the Morgenstern heiress Clarissa Morgenstern." Josette looks at me with wide eyes.

"Oh my God, I am so sorry I didn't mean to out you, I thought everyone would know I'm so sorry." She looks so genuinely apologetic I can't help but not get mad.

"Don't worry about it. I would've told Izzy I just hadn't thought about it, to be honest." I thought Izzy would get upset but instead, she mentions what happened with Jace. Not wanting to talk about that I ask Josette another question. "So Josette, why did you choose Herondale High out of all places."

"First off call me Jo or Josie some people even call me Settie but usually only adults call me Josette. Second, they've been trying to recruit me at The Herondale Academy for forever and my dads probably would've sent me here if I hadn't gotten into the Paris Institute and third. I thought this school was called Herondale Academy."

"Oh, it is," Isabelle answers, "Everybody calls it Herondale High though because the most important part is the high school, that's usually when people decide their kids have to go here."

"Ah, I get it. Well, I probably would've fought them on it but they wanted me to come here and after they died and left everything they had to me and made me the executive of my own estate I figured it was the least I could do."

I start to nod my head when Izzy drops the heels she had been admiring. "Wait so you mean you have access to all your dad's companies and all his money."

"Their money and companies and yeah. I'm rich at 17 years old yay me." Izzy scrunches up her face and apologies. "It's fine at least you're not shying away like I have some disease like most people do when they hear the word death."

"Well, if I shied away you might not let me borrow your clothes." Josette laughs at this before excusing herself to take a shower and go to sleep. While she is in the shower Izzy and I talk and decide that we are going to formally introduce her to Alec and Magnus tomorrow. When Josette comes out of the bathroom in an adorable matching bra and underwear set saying she left her shorts and shirt on her trunk Izzy bursts out, "Do you want to try out for the cheerleading squad." Josette turns her head towards Izzy while continuing to get dressed.

"Umm, I don't actually know what cheerleading is we didn't have sports at the Paris institute because it was about the arts like modeling and acting stuff like that. Cheerleading is a sport right?"

Izzy grins, "It sure is no matter what people might say and I think you would be great at it."

"Then sure I'd love to audition for the team." Izzy giggles and tells her it's called trying out. "Then that. I would like to try out."

"Perfect. I'll find you after school tomorrow so bring work out clothes." With that, we all get ready for bed but Izzy comes up with another question. "Wait, if you're from Paris, why don't you have a French accent?"

I can hear the smile in Josette's voice as she answers. "My dads adopted me when I was three and I lived with them for a few months until they had to move to Paris for my Papa Michael's fashion company. Because I learned how to talk in America, whenever I speak English I have an American accent."

"How do you know you have an American accent if you sound American."

"Oh my goodness Izzy go to sleep." Josette laughs at my outburst before replying to Izzy.

"Everybody has an accent, Izzy, it just doesn't sound like it to them because they've grown used to it. Now I must agree with Clary. We should get to bed because I don't want to fall asleep in any of my classes on my first day." Izzy seems satisfied because she doesn't ask any more questions and we drift off to sleep.