30| Trust

The last word of Link's story passed his lips, and instantly he lapsed into silence

The last word of Link's story passed his lips, and instantly he lapsed into silence. He had more to say, but his throat was beginning to ache from just how much he'd said. Instead, he looked at Zelda to gauge her response to all of this, trying his best to not make his gaze appear challenging. He already had a feeling of what she was going to say.

It was like Zelda's whole face had gone slack. Her eyes were wavering, her jaw slightly hanging open. She seemed thoroughly shaken. "That is... I-I never thought..." her words came out baffled and jumbled as she tried to speak. "I don't understand..."

"Well that's different," Link muttered, shrugging. In spite of his dismissive gesture, he was a bit surprised. He thought she would've come at him, telling him he and his mother were wrong for what they did and how they thought.

Some of Zelda's composure appeared to return to her then. She frowned, her brow furrowing in sadness. "What is? My reaction?" she asked. "Why wouldn't I offer my condolences to you?"

"'Cause I ran," Link spat, grimacing as a more bitter anger began to rise in him. Recalling this story always made him more angry than sad, which he wanted. "I say only cowards run, but that's what I did back then."

Zelda's eyes widened before she sternly exclaimed. "I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous!"

Link scowled. "That I ran, I know."

"Don't say that!" Zelda shook her head. "Running away doesn't make you a coward. I likely would have reacted the same way."

But it did, that was what Link's father always told him. Even if Zelda knew that now after his retelling, she still was insistent on trying to reassure him.

"You lost both of your parents at once, and you were only seven. I'd be more surprised if you did run to your parents after seeing your mother in that state. Even imagining it just sounds... awful."

"But that's what Pa would've wanted," Link said, clenching his jaw. "I shouldn't be scared, 'cause it makes ya do dumb shit, like runnin' away."

Zelda stared at Link, silent. Then in a voice that was serious yet comforting she said, "There is nothing wrong with being afraid, Link."

How Link begged to disagree. Zelda might have been able to handle functioning alongside her fear, but Link didn't want to. He hadn't for so long, and he didn't want to know if he could now. It was better that he drowned his fear out whenever he could.

"It's impossible to avoid fear," Zelda then said. "I'm not wishing that it befal—happens to you, but it's unavoidable." It was like she could read his mind! Had she been training Wisdom while he wasn't around and discovered some insane new ability? Link pursed his lips. This really was strange. "You seem put off... Are you still surprised by my reaction?"