20| Notes of Wisdom

Despite Zelda's pleading with Resa, she insisted that they continue on to the temple, even after help for the Gerudo guards arrived and their injuries had been tended to

Despite Zelda's pleading with Resa, she insisted that they continue on to the temple, even after help for the Gerudo guards arrived and their injuries had been tended to. Three of the Gerudo had regained consciousness, though the fourth hadn't. Time and proper examination would tell if they had any lasting damage from being starved of air for so long.

   Link was the worst-off of the group with his burns, and his appearance after a hasty treatment showed this. A decent-sized bandage covered the right side of his face from jawline to cheekbone, and his forearm had been wrapped up as well. Even if the Domain's healers had several Alomomola with Heal Pulse at their disposal, it was apparently unwise for any proper healing to be done at the moment. Something to due with poultices and leeching toxins. It all went over Link's head, especially since he felt fine except for some stinging. He could deal with it until they got back to the Domain.

   Zelda had gone quiet after they left the guards behind. Her brow was furrowed, her eyes more narrowed than usual as she seemed deep in thought. Link instantly took this as a bad sign.

   As they walked, Link waited for Zelda to say something. She was going to scold him, to tell him that if they had been just a little faster, the guards might not be in their current state. But surprisingly, those words never came. Instead, it was Resa who spoke.

   We should have expected casualties in some form or another, Resa said. If not now, then at some other point.

   A sigh left Zelda. "I know," she said. "You don't have to tell me that. And at least we tried to help. Th-that's all that matters here." Link swore he could feel Zelda staring at him, but he ignored it.

   Yes, it is, Resa said sagely. Link wished he could see their positivity.

   Halfway down the walkway, the ocean began to rise up over the stone. One inch, two inches, then three. By the end, they were wading through ankle-deep water. Fira helped Zelda keep her balance on the slick stones, but neither one of them complained. They then reached the temple.

   Like the Woodland Temple, time hadn't been kind to the Riptide Temple's structure. Salt-laced winds had worn away at its once finely-crafted edges, and water had carved dark rivulets through the aging stone, making the Water Pokémon carved upon the doors look like they were crying. For being the home of the youngest of the Swords of Justice, it certainly looked the oldest.

   May I have some space, please? Resa asked. Link already knew what she was going to do, and he backed off along with the others.

   Resa crossed her sashes in front of herself before extending them out. She then moved them to her left side before bringing them around to her right in a flowing motion that resembled waves on the ocean. With the sound of grinding stone, the doors to the temple slid open. Nobody hesitated to enter the temple, nor did they react when the doors closed behind them.