01| Looks Do Deceive

Link stared out of the alleyway at the bustling marketplace ahead

Link stared out of the alleyway at the bustling marketplace ahead. At his side stood a black and blue, bipedal, jackal-like being with red eyes that cautiously surveyed the area beyond the alley. The citizens of the town mindlessly walked past the pair, going about their daily lives and completely unaware of the duo's presences.

   "This looks way too easy," Link commented. "But I'll take it. So what're you in the mood for, Luce?" he then asked his companion. She looked about for a moment before pointing to a nearby fruit stand, yipping quietly. It was close to the alley, but not too close that the vendor could see them enter it. Link's eyes then widened when he saw what the stand had stocked. "I like your tastes," he said, grinning.

   Link made sure his cloak's hood was pulled up before he left the shade of the alleyway, Luce following close behind. They made their way towards the fruit stand, and Link announced his presence to the vendor. The sweet-looking old vendor looked up from his book and smiled at the teen.

   "Good day, young man. How may I help you?" he asked.

   "Well... I was wonderin' if I could ask ya a few things," Link responded. As he spoke, a countdown ticked down in his head. Three... two... one..!

   Luce lifted a paw and let out a little growl, drawing the vendor's attention. He gave her a confused look. Luce then began to make small motions with both her paws, continuing to growl while throwing in the occasional yip. It was like she was trying to have a conversation with the man. The vendor seemed to grow entranced by Luce's display, unable to take his eyes off her.

   The corner of Link's mouth quirked up when he saw Luce performing her little act. Even though they'd done this many times, both in practice and actual use, he also had to resist the urge to be drawn in too. Unfortunately for the vendor, he couldn't look away from Luce.

   Link began helping himself to the displayed fruits, taking a few from each of the colorful, organized mounds they were stacked in and stashing them away in the leather pouch clipped to his belt. Once he'd taken around a dozen, he gave Luce a quick pat on the shoulder and briskly walked away from the stand, back towards the alleyway. When he was again shrouded in its shade, he waited a moment until Luce joined him, and together they ran. Behind them, commotion reigned.

   "How could this have happened?"

   "I swear I only looked away for one second!"

   "So much for the guards. You can't trust any of 'em to actually do their jobs!"

   Link didn't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for the townsfolk. The former won out within seconds, though he had to stifle it to appear less suspicious. The Illusion strikes again, he thought to himself.

   Floria Town may have had a scenic location with a large populous, but it was horrendous in terms of crime prevention or general security. Everybody around here was so nice and trusting, a veritable gold mine for prospecting thieves, for those like Link. And if he could pin his crime on someone else, that would be even better.