Chapter 14

Sorry, that I didn't update Wednesday

Sorry, that I didn't update Wednesday. I really don't have an excuse other than I was busy. This was a hard chapter for me to write personally but I hope you guys enjoy. I'm thinking about updating this book only on Saturdays. School has been kicking my butt and I'm in the process of changing classes. I know I'll be able to write better and longer chapters if I have more time to work on them. Alright back to our regular program.

I didn't get out of my room for the rest of the day, yesterday

I didn't get out of my room for the rest of the day, yesterday. I didn't want Daxton to be right, but he was. I definitely don't want to get mixed in with Alexander's gang life. I wasn't going to be his girlfriend or whatever if he was in a gang. I brushed the last knots out of my hair and walked out of my room. I walked into the kitchen. Tucker stood at the stove cooking breakfast. Brooks sat at the table eating a bowl of cereal. Daxton sat at another chair drinking coffee. "Wow, she's actually alive." Tucker laughed. I opened the fridge and grabbed the orange juice.

"Who said I died?"

"Brooks." I walked over to him and leaned down to his face.

"You thought I died? The hell is wrong with you?" I hit him in the back of the head.

"Ow." He yelled out. I walked back to the counter with the orange juice.

"Mama and daddy in Tulsa?"

"Yep." Tucker turned back to the stove. I poured the orange juice into a cup and sat by Daxton.

"We're talking after we eat. So, don't think you're off the hook." He said. Just when I was about to say something there was a knock on the front screen door.

"Not getting it." Brooks got up from the table.

"I'm cooking." Tucker picked up a spatula. There was another knock.

"Looks like you got it, little sis." Daxton picked up his coffee. I rolled my eyes and got up. I walked to the door and opened it. My heart dropped as I stared at two men dressed in army uniforms.

"Morning ma'am." The one nodded his head to me. My mouth was dry. I swallowed trying to find words.

"Morning sir." I walked out on the porch with them.

"Is this Lawson residence?" I crossed my arms over my chest, trying to calm my nerves.

"Yes, sir."

"Is Mr. and Mrs. Lawson here?" He messed with a letter he had in his hand.

"No, they won't be back till tomorrow or the next day." I was getting a little impatient. "What is this about?" Tucker came to the door.

"Brynn breakfast is..." He started to say before he saw the two men. He walked out onto the porch behind me.

"Who are in relation to Grant Lawson?" The man asked.

"Sister."

"Brother." Tucker put a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry." He handed the letter to me. I quickly ripped it open. I only read two sentences before I fell onto my knees. Tucker went down with me. I dropped the letter and put my head in my hands.

"Daxton, Grant," Tucker yelled. Daxton ran out and dropped down to me. He held on to my arms and shook them a little.

"Brynn, Brynn." He got up to talk to the two men who still stood on our porch. Tucker stayed with me and rubbed my back. I could hear him trying not to cry. I could slightly see Brooks's legs next to me. I finally let the tears fall, I didn't know I was holding them in. I put my hands down.

"No, no, no," I yelled out. I had so many emotions running through my body, pain, frustration, anger, sadness. My baby sister was already gone, not my big brother too. My heart wanted something, someone but I wasn't sure what it was. The two men left. Daxton sat down next to me, Tucker, and now Brooks. None of us held it in anymore, we all sat there crying and holding each other. What else were we supposed to do? Tucker pulled me into his lap and I cried into his shoulder. Brooks leaned his head on Tucker's arm. Daxton sat looking at us. He wasn't crying but I could tell he wanted to. I know he wanted to be strong for me and my brothers, but he didn't have to act like that. He is human too and as emotions like everyone. I got up and walked over to him. I sat next to him and put my head on his shoulder. "It's okay." I didn't know if I was telling that to myself or Daxton.

After a while of sitting on the porch together, we all went inside. We all went to different rooms. I went to mine. I looked at the pictures of my brothers, my sister, and me when we were little. I had a shoebox under my bed where I kept them. My favorite picture is one where all of us are at a creek that is a little behind the woods at my house. We were running around splashing each other with water and having fun, not worrying about never seeing each other again. I laid on my bed holding the picture in my hands. I wanted someone to be there with me but not at the same time. I don't know what made me do it but I texted Alexander.

 I don't know what made me do it but I texted Alexander