Chapter 41: Come home

Chen Ruo Yu did not sleep well the whole night.  The next day, Chen Mother got up early and did not give her a good expression.  Chen Father found an opportunity to pull Chen Ruo Yu quietly back into her room to have a chat.

“Since you don’t want to come home, are you intending to stay outside for the rest of your life?  Xiao Yu, think carefully about this.  Is outside really better than your own home?”

“If you are doing well outside or you have set up a family outside, I and your Mom will not say anything.  Now you don’t have a good job, you don’t even know how long you can work and you don’t have money.  You are not young anymore.  In a few years, it will not be easy for you to return home and look for a job here.  As you grow older, it will be even harder for you to find a partner.  Now when we get to meet acquaintances or friends and have relatives coming to visit us and when they ask about you, we don’t even know what to tell them.”

“In a few years, I will have to retire and then even if I want to find someone to help you with anything, it will be difficult.  Now your Mom’s health is not good, and she worries about you every day.  If anything happens, you will also feel bad.  Dad knows that since young, you have been filial and sensible.  But I don’t know why you are so stubborn and not understanding regarding this matter?”

“You don’t know about this since you are staying outside but your Mom had put in a lot of effort running around regarding this matter.  She values her face the most, and she could also discard her face to ask other people for help to introduce a partner to you.  She was also picky and after others had introduced potential partners, she would say they were not good enough.  After she comes back, she would feel shameful and unhappy, unable to eat and couldn’t sleep.  It was not easy for her to find someone that she was satisfied with, and this time she was afraid you will miss this chance.  So I quickly called you to come home.”

“It is alright if this person is not good enough but this person and his family conditions are really comparable to ours and he is also a filial child.  I heard that he is good-looking and his temper is good.  Your Mom is afraid that if you stay too long in A-city, you will not take a liking to the young men here.  As a matter of fact, Zhou Zhe had lived in A-city for some time, and he is an experienced and wise man who had nothing that you would dislike.  It is also good that his family likes you and both of you can spend more time with each other in A-city and later can come home together.  Isn’t this great?”

Chen Father continued speaking and slowly his voice turned resentful.  “Yesterday, I tried to persuade your Mom not to follow her heart.  I told her our children have grown up and they have to make their own decisions.  But on this matter, you are really in the wrong.  Ask yourself, what reasons do you have that you have to tie yourself to A-city?  What is so good there?  I know that something unpleasant had happened here, and you are unhappy with your friends.  I also know that you broke up with Old Zhang’s son and felt aggrieved.  But can you tell me who in his life will not suffer a few setbacks?  After encountering some mishaps, are you going to shun your parents?  If you are leading a hard life outside, isn’t this self-inflicted?”

Chen Father said all these without taking a breath and Chen Ruo Yu kept quiet.  But when she heard up to here, she could not help but defend herself.  “Dad, I’m not suffering in A-city.  Don’t think too much about it.  I’m really good there and I’m happy with my job.  It’s not that kind of humble and submissive job.  Many of my clients have also become my friends.  I’m able to earn money and my life is good.  I also have very good friends there……..”  She said.  Blinking her eyes, she thought of Meng Gu and felt a little sad. 

“Don’t you have friends here?  Can’t you find a good job here?  Your parents are still here!”  Chen Father also became angry.

“Dad, I know what you mean.  I really understand that you are concerned about me but you must also understand me.  I really like it there and I’m very happy there.”