Sirius: Part 1

SIRIUS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A pair of scissors made a final snip over Sirius' head. Hair fell in front of his face, tickling his nose before the strands landed on his lap and the floor.

"Hello, handsome." Calysta winked at him in the iron-framed bathroom mirror, running her fingers through the newly-cut hair.

"Why do you insist on cutting my hair? I'd wanted to let it grow out." Sirius grumbled.

"You've been hanging around Harry too much," Calysta rolled her eyes. Not understanding, Sirius raised an eyebrow. Calysta huffed. "You're being a baby." She explained.

"Am not," Sirius complained.

"Are too," Calysta's hands came to rest on both of his shoulders. Sirius smirked.

"I have never let anyone cut my hair besides me." Sirius told her. The smell of gardenias wafted in the air as Calysta bent her head to his ear and left a kiss behind it.

"I must be pretty special then." She breathed. Sirius' skin prickled on contact. The feeling of her lips lingered as she took a step back. "Yep, I did a good job."

"That you did," Sirius smiled, the short hair reminding him of James', though much neater. He stood from the stool he sat on and maneuvered around it, tracing his fingertips down Calysta's spine as she rinsed the blades in the sink. Her back straightened, but then relaxed again.

"We have to check on Peter tomorrow," Calysta started casually. "We made a deal with Lily and James that we would. Merlin forbid we change plans so you don't get harmed." Sirius snaked his arms around her front slowly and she leaned her weight into Sirius' chest.

"We have time before then," Sirius mumbled into her hair. She laughed deeply. Sirius felt the weight in his pocket become heavier and he kissed the side of Calysta's head before leaning back. He cleared his throat and put his hands on Calysta's hips, turning her to face him. Her lips were still peeled back in a smile when she looked at him and put her hands on his chest.

"Something wrong?" She tilted her head to the side. Sirius shook his head and looked over her face before reaching into his pocket.

"Um, Cal?" He began, cursing his own nerves. Calysta ran her hands over his shoulders and looked him over.

"What is it, love?"

"I...We've been together for a long time. Bloody hell, um...I didn't make a speech-- I'm going about this on the fly," He laughed airily and scratched the back of his neck, looking up at the ceiling as if hoping the right words were there. "I love you, Cal."

Calysta giggled and laced her fingers behind his neck. "I like where this is going,"

Sirius moved his head from side to side and took a quick  breath. "Okay...Cal, I love you. From the second I saw you I thought you were something special. I'm glad you gave me the time of day, though I pretty much gave you no other option," When Calysta laughed, the rest of his nerves disappeared. "I love waking up to kiss you every morning. I love knowing you'll be there for me and I want to be there for you whenever you need me. You're so talented and smart and bad-ass, and I'm saying a lot of 'and's, but I could go on and on about you. Because I love you and everything you are. Also because I really want you to say yes,"

He pulled the sparkling ring from his pocket and held it up in front of her. Calysta's lips parted in surprise, her forest green eyes he loved so much watering until a tear fell down her cheek. Her hands left from around his neck and covered her mouth.