One: James

JAMES

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three of the Marauder boys had their feet up on the coffee table, warming their toes in front of the fire. James sighed boredly, reclining his arms over the back of the couch.

"Did you say Sirius was coming, dear?" His mother called from the kitchen.

"I thought he was," James replied. Sirius was supposed to be here after dinner with Cal, but at 10:36 at night, James was loosing hope.

"Maybe he forgot?" Peter said lamely, not believing it himself. James shook his head.

"Sirius is always dying to get out of that house of his. His family is a bunch of nut cases."

"James, that's a rude thing to say. They're still his family." James' mother scolded. James rolled his eyes. Remus and Peter snickered. They thought the same thing about Sirius' family. His mother came out of the kitchen with a pot of tea and five cups on a tray. James was going to ask about the two extra cups, but she spoke as if reading his mind.

"In case Sirius comes. And this new Calysta you've been talking about. Seem to have gotten over that Lily girl pretty fast." His mother said suggestively. James recoiled from her, crinkling his nose.

"Calysta is Sirius' girlfriend, mum! And besides, no one just gets over Lily Evans." James looked at his mother like she was crazy. His mother giggled in her throat, leaving the cups in front of her son and retreating to the kitchen again. The Daily Prophet was in her hands.

"You? With Calysta?" Remus laughed again. James shook his head.

"I know! She's a great friend and all, but Lily is who I've got my eyes on."

"We know that." Remus mumbled, filling his cup with the hot tea. The steam floated up in lulling waves. James filled a cup for Peter and himself, then sank back into the couch. Remus used his finger to hold back the curtains, looking into the onyx sky. James suddenly shuddered.

"I'd hate to be out in that weather." He shook his head absently, watching the thick flakes coat the ground in white. Remus and Peter nodded in agreement.

"Like those two?" Remus smiled slightly, gesturing out the window. James and Peter pushed themselves from the couch and huddled around Remus at the window. James searched the yard for a second before his eyes caught faint shadows of two people heading up the sidewalk. They turned into the wide path leading up to the front of the house. The taller figure waved. James swore he heard it call out. Remus' eyes narrowed and he placed his ear against the cold window.

"What do you hear?" Peter asked. Remus blinked a few times, holding a finger to his lips.

"It can't be," Remus whispered. James grew anxious, staring at the approaching figures again. They were both waving now. Remus jumped up from the chair, heading towards the door and pulling it open, letting in a breeze of snow that dusted the rug. James followed shortly, shoving the door closed again.

"Anyone crazy enough to be outside right now is crazy enough to be dangerous." James reasoned. Remus shook his head.

"James, I think it's Sirius," He said. Peter and James glanced at each other. They nodded silently, grabbing their coats.

"Come on, then," Peter said as he tossed Remus' coat to him. They opened the door again, walking out into the wind.

"'Ello, mates!" James got the attention of the two figures.

"James!" A feminine voice called back to him.

"Is that you, Peregrine?" Remus answered.

"Y-yes!" The voice replied. James, Peter, and Remus ran faster, meeting the two people. James studied the faces of Sirius and Calysta. Both looked frozen to the bone. Calysta and Sirius were stuck to each others' sides as they walked. James and Remus circled around them, placing a hand on their backs and ushering them towards the house.