Thirty-Two: Sirius

SIRIUS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soft humming woke Sirius from his sleep, a soft sound coming from his mouth as he stretched. The covers next to him were bunched at the foot of the bed and the pillow still had a dent in it from Calysta's head the night before.

"Morning, Sirius." Sirius heard her before she entered the room. A loose shirt of Sirius' hung over her body, with sweatpants from a Muggle store she had to cut the ends off of because they were too long.

"'Wazzat?" Sirius mumbled, eyeing the envelope in Calysta's hand.

"Message from the Potter's." She flipped the page over and read the inscription on the back in looping letters. Sirius sat up and patted the bed next to him. Calysta flopped down on it, her eyes not leaving the paper. Suddenly she gasped.

"Sirius!" Calysta gushed, thrusting the letter in his face. Mildly startled, Sirius took the letter. He read the words over and over again, his mental process not working that morning.

"It's a boy," He whispered. "A boy, Cal!"

"We need to get over there! They have something to discuss with us, it says." Calysta underlined the suspicious sentence with her finger. Sirius jumped from the mattress.

"Calysta, I think it's time I introduced you to the bike." Sirius said proudly. The expression on Calysta's face was priceless.

~~~~~~

"Stupid Muggle invention..." Calysta's voice was high-pitched, terrified almost. She hugged her leather jacket--that had been mended to fit better over the years--closely around her, even in the middle of July. Sirius laughed shortly as he placed a helmet on her head.

"That's what my brother said when he caught me fixing it one day in the shed." He informed her. Calysta's mouth made an apologetic smile.

"Sorry. It's a nice bike. I like the color." She tried to clear things up. Sirius simply laughed out loud. Knocking his knuckles on the outside shell, he swung his leg over the rumbling bike.

"I like the color too." It was a light teal with a little rust stain on the cover over the back wheel; Sirius would have to fix that. He jerked his head to motion Calysta forward. "Coming?"

"It's really loud!" She shouted over the revving, the exhaust fuming in her face.

"How old are you, Calysta?" He yelled back. "It's only a bike!" Sirius teased.

"I don't like it, Sirius." She whined childishly. Sirius rolled his eyes and sat thoughtfully on the bike, holding it straight with his feet planted firmly on the ground.

"I'll let you cut as much of my hair as you want if you get on this bike right now," Sirius tilted his head and looked up at her slyly through his lashes.

"Deal." She gave in with a swivel of her shoulders and hopped to get one leg over the back of Sirius' motorcycle. Calysta's arms snugly wrapped around his torso, Sirius cranked the pedal and the bike jerked forward. Her grip only grew tighter as it did so.

"You'll love it," Sirius assured.

Sure enough, Calysta did. Her hands released his mid section and stayed on his hips. The road's twists and turns flowed smoothly under the tires, and soon Calysta leaned back against the back rest Sirius installed and let her hands fly in the air as the bits of her hair not covered by the helmet was streaming like a kite behind them. Sirius swore she even let out a free 'woohoo!' of joy. James' parents house loomed in view, a bright and cheery exterior greeting them.

"James, look at you!" Calysta hugged him tightly. He was glancing back at the house, eager to get inside, Sirius supposed.

"Let's go take a look at the little bugger, shall we, mate?" Sirius teased, clapping James on the back. James chuckled and waltzed into the house with a gentle manner that Sirius had never seen him possess before. Calysta followed on their heels. Once inside, they were greeted again with familiar faces that looked happy to be there.

"Hi, Remus. Hi, Peter." Calysta smiled, hugging her friends warmly.

"Ready to see him?" James asked quietly. They all nodded, letting James take the lead up the stairs they already knew so well. A door at the end of the hall was cracked open, bright sunshine leaking through the opening. "Lily, they're here."

"Come in, come in! Harry's just woken up." Lily enthusiastically beckoned them. The childhood friends shuffled in quietly. Lily was in a light yellow robe that covered her body from shoulders to foot, her hair pulled up into a loose bun. Her green eyes reflected the sun, making them illuminate. The small bundle of joy wrapped in a yellow blanket was cradled in her arms delicately. Calysta stood close beside her and she covered her mouth with one hand.

"Harry? That's the name you went with?" Sirius asked, earning glares from his girlfriend and Lily. He raised his arms defensively. "It's a great name!" He added hurriedly and truthfully.

"His middle name is James." Lily told. James beamed proudly at his near-copy. Sirius studied the newborn's face with great interest, taking in everything. He'd never been around too many babies. The only baby he truly was around frequently was his own brother, and Sirius barely remembered those times because he was only two years Regulus' senior.

Tufts of black hair covered the baby's head, a soft green tint to his opening eyes. Just like Lily's. Sirius felt his heart beat faster when they met his. Harry was so small, so delicate.

"He's wonderful," Peter whispered. Lily and James shared grateful smiles.

"Would you like to hold him?" Lily leaned towards Sirius. Sirius looked at the woman with wide eyes.

"Oh, no, I couldn't-" Sirius didn't have experience with children, much less babies. He was afraid he'd drop poor Harry.

"It's alright," Lily said insistently. Sirius gave Lily and James looks, but slowly and carefully took Harry in his broad arms. Lily made sure the baby's head was supported before retracting her hands. Calysta placed a hand on Sirius' shoulder as she teared up a bit.

"We have something else to ask Sirius." James began, watching Sirius make faces at Harry to make him react in any way. They looked towards James, who took a deep breath.

"Sirius...we want you to be the godfather." Lily said softly. Calysta gasped happily and Sirius froze. Sirius, taking the responsibility of being a godfather? His mind immediately went to that of the time James gave him a plant and Sirius neglected caring for it; it died within two weeks. A baby, that was a whole other story. What if Harry didn't like Sirius? What if Sirius didn't like Harry? No, of course he would like Harry, he was James' son, for Merlin's sake!

"I would be honored," Sirius said, not wasting another moment. Lily and James laughed triumphantly. Calysta kissed Sirius' cheek.

"That means..." James interrupted the silent cheer with another proclamation. "We also want Calysta to be godmother." He said, his eyes connecting with Calysta's. Calysta covered her mouth again, nodding fervently.

"Of course." She whispered in shock. One of Calysta's hands traced through Harry's little amount of hair peacefully, looking at him with as much love as Lily and James did. Harry managed to grab Sirius' thumb, causing a very-much-unlike-Sirius kind of sound to escape his chest.

"That's perfect then." Remus whispered, joining in with the smiling occurring at that moment. Peter also leaned his head against the door frame, watching like he were in a day-dream.

~~~~~

Sirius wasn't aware of his mates watching him from outside the door. They had gone to make coffee in the kitchen. Sirius offered to keep Harry until they came back, totally aware that he seemed to not want to let Harry out of his sight, or arms for that matter. Calysta leaned against the wall with a flutter in her heart as she watched the scene on the other side of the door. James and Lily held each other and joined her. Remus and Peter also stayed at the door, being careful not to make their presence known to Sirius.

"Hi, Harry," Sirius whispered in an airy sort of tone, "I'm Sirius. I'm your godfather. I'll take care of you no matter what, little man. Promise you that."