Six: Lily

LILY

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Do you trust Calysta?" Skylar asked Lily as they sat in the Great Hall together. Lily's eyes flicked up from her meal to look at Skylar, whom of which was watching Calysta's back as she walked out with her mates.

"Yes..." Lily's reply came out more like a question. Skylar's eye twitched.

"Her mom is a Death Eater," She whispered. "What if Calysta is undercover here?" Skylar gulped. Marlene, next to her, scoffed.

"You would have seen the Mark." Lily said sternly, rolling her eyes. "Besides, look how shaken up she was..."

"Have you asked for proof? How do you know she isn't?" Skyler asked animatedly, her light hazel eyes burning holes into Lily's green ones. Lily bit her lip. She hadn't gotten proof, but Calysta wasn't that kind of person. She does not have the heart to become something so awful. Lily suddenly got the feeling she was missing something important, for students murmured together, attention directed to the corridor. She looked around her; students were curiously crowding the doors of the Great Hall.

"Pardon us, please. We just want to get to our dorms." Marlene groaned, weaving between students with Lily and Skylar behind her.

"Oi, that girl can punch!"

"I bet she broke his nose! Did you hear that crack?"

"Blood everywhere!" Lily started catching broken bits of conversation as students excitedly discussed broken noses.

"Am I missing something?" Lily asked her friends, grabbing Skylar's shoulder from behind.

"Avery! Avery, are you okay?" A random Slytherin answered her question, pushing past students behind Lily. Lily grasped her friends' wrists and dragged them after the Slytherin, earning a surprised yelp from Skylar.

"DO I LOOK OKAY TO YOU, YOU PRAT?" The recognizable high-and-mighty voice of Amerus Avery rang over the crowd that was starting to break up. Lily had finally pushed through the final layer of students to see Avery being helped up clumsily. His golden hair had drops of red at the ends, and his face was covered in the red fluid leaking from his nose.

"Let me fix that." A monotone voice broke through the crowd opposite of Lily. Severus glanced up, catching her eye for a split second. It didn't last long, for Lily's attention was attracted elsewhere. James Potter barked joyously and clapped his hand on Sirius' back. Sirius jogged to keep up with the quickened steps of Calysta.

"Brilliant, Cal, absolutely great show!" Remus complimented. He was in awe.

"My hand hurts. Thick skull I suppose." Calysta chuckled. "He deserved it. That insufferable-" The rest of the sentence was cut off when Skylar pulled Lily to face her.

"What did I tell you, guys?" Skylar warned, giving Lily a proud expression. Marlene made a noise of complaint.

"You believe Calysta is a Death Eater because she punched a git. Next time I punch someone I'll be a Death Eater, that's what you're saying!" Marlene sighed as Skylar shook her head.

"That's the proof right there! I know Cal too, and she wouldn't hurt a fly! And now she straight up punches another student?" Her arms moved in wild gestures, pointing after Calysta. Lily rolled her eyes and started to walk away. Marlene joined her.

"She isn't a Death Eater, Sky." Lily laughed shortly. Skylar said something along the lines of 'whatever you say' at Lily's back. Lily and Marlene bounded up the staircase, minimizing the distance between the five and herself.

"-strong arm you've got. If only our Beaters had that kind of-- evening, Lily." James spotted her first, his smile growing.

"You punched Amerus?" Marlene asked excitedly. Calysta let out a sharp breath and nodded, absently rolling up her sleeves and running her hands through her hair.

"Bothersome little Slytherin, isn't he?" She said sourly. Lily subtly looked at her arms, not being able to get Skylar accusation out of her mind; blank skin all the way up her arm. Relief filled Lily's chest, even though she knew it wasn't true in the first place.

"I would know." Lily replied softly. Sirius smirked.

"Gave him what was comin'." He laughed. Calysta smiled, showing no teeth, and walked through the portrait after giving the password to the common room.

~~~~~

Lily woke up to the sound of trunk snaps being locked. Blinking her eyes groggily, Lily sat up and rubbed her head. Across the room, Calysta was studying clothing items in her trunk. She swung a black shirt over her arm, and held up another red sweater.

"Black," A voice groaned quietly. Calysta and Lily both looked at Skylar, whose right eye only was open. The other half of her face was buried in the pillow.

"Perfect. Thanks, Sky."

"No-" Skylar let out a huge yawn, "-problem." Calysta turned away and walked into the bathroom. Within a few minutes she came out, wand in hand. Her hair was in pronounced waves down her back; done obviously with magic. The black sweater was baggy on her form; a moon-and-stars necklace hung around her neck. Faint dark circles were visible under her eyes at close distance.

"Cal, did you sleep okay?" Lily placed a hand on Calysta's shoulder. She shook her head slowly.

"Had a bad dream," She shrugged.

"What about?" Lily tilted her head. Calysta took a minute to respond.

"My mom," She explained, clearly not wanting to go into detail. Lily's arms wrapped around Calysta's torso. Calysta did not move to return the hug. That was not like her. Lily felt the other girl's head fall onto her shoulder lightly. Also not a Calysta-like gesture.

"All of this will be figured out. You'll be alright." Lily tried to comfort her. She thought they were such cliche words. Calysta let out a sharp breath as a laugh; it tickled Lily's neck. Calysta broke free from Lily's arms and tucked a strand of her brown hair behind her ear. Diamond earrings sparkled from her lobes.

"Do you still fancy James?" She asked, her voice a soft squeak. Lily's eyes widened as she stared in confusion.

"I-I don't know. I mean I- um, I- no. Maybe?" Lily sputtered, making Calysta smile genuinely.

"He talked an awful lot about you. I was almost sick of it," Calysta's words hinted sarcasm. Lily rolled her eyes, but felt her cheeks burn.

"He did?" Lily asked in a whisper. Calysta nodded. Lily covered her face in her hands.

"I know what you're doing! It's no going to work," She sing-songed. Calysta grinned as if to say she knew Lily was hiding her feelings for one of Calysta's best mates. "Not chance." Lily stomped her foot in finality and collected her clothes. Calysta giggled.

"I'm going to go see the boys. See you at breakfast, ladies." She added, waving at Lily as she closed the door.