Twenty-Two: Remus

REMUS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you still coming tonight, Padfoot?" Remus concentrated on his breathing. He felt an extra pull of energy this night.

"Of course, mate," Sirius shook his head to move his hair from his eyes. He pushed himself from the couch. His eyes slid past Remus' shoulder and towards the stairs. He bit his bottom lip between his teeth and straightened. Remus peeked over his shoulder in the direction Sirius looked. Calysta was making her way down the stairs in a thick windbreaker jacket. She glanced at them and nodded her head towards the door. 'See you out there.' It seemed to say.

"She didn't even look at you." James shook his head, standing up behind Sirius and supporting his arm on Sirius' shoulder.

"She still noticed me." Sirius sighed and zipped his faded leather jacket. Remus watched the portrait close behind Calysta, having not even bothered to put on the Invisibility Cloak. James and Remus headed out first, Peter and Sirius following under the cloak. Calysta had been waiting for them outside the common room. She smiled at Remus alone and walked in front of them down the hall without a word.

"Remus?" James talked quiet enough so only Remus could hear him.

"Yeah?"

"Something's wrong with Sirius."

"I would expect so. Calysta dumped him." Remus rolled his eyes. He didn't like seeing Sirius upset. Not one to share his feelings, Sirius kept everything under a slightly-arrogant facade. But Remus saw past the cover. Remus also knew that Calysta didn't want to make the choice. He knew, however, that feeling worthless and helpless blinded a person to people they really need. James shook his head.

"You know she's the longest relationship he's had?" James continued.

"I know," Remus confirmed.

"It hurt him a lot. I can tell. He's not happy," He pointed out in remorse. Remus nodded in agreement and glanced behind his shoulder. Remus knew where the two others were because he could hear their breathing and soft footsteps. He hoped they couldn't hear their conversation. Calysta sniffed and rubbed her nose, showing no sign of hearing anything going on behind her.

"I hope Calysta's decision wasn't because of anything he did." Remus told his mate. It always the same with past relationships; they couldn't keep up with his occasional self-centeredness and one-track mind. James huffed.

"I hope he doesn't give up on her. She's the same as he is."

"Arrogant and short-tempered?" Remus smirked. James let out a breathy laugh.

"No, not in that way. They just...compliment each other." James pushed his glasses back up the bridge of his nose; there was a small, permanent indent on either side of his nose due to always having glasses on. Remus had to agree with what he was saying.

"Ready?" Calysta stopped at a great set of doors at the back of the castle. The cloak was whipped off Sirius and Peter, their hair going with it, making the strands stick up. Sirius' eyes were dialed in to Calysta's face. She swallowed visibly and turned her face away, pushing open the door impatiently. Once they were all outside, the five friends took off across the dark lawn.

~~~~~

Remus rubbed his head groggily, a jolt of pain radiating from his leg. His calf had a deep gash through it. And he was sopping wet; his bare chest had remaining drops of the freezing rain trailing down his skin. Remus shivered and wrapped his arms across his bare chest. The forest was painted over with thin fog. Leaves blew in the wind; making the cold worsen. A crash of brush and twigs breaking brought the knowledge of another presence.