Thirty-One: James

JAMES

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Almost two years, Lil...We finally get our wedding." James whispered, planting a kiss on the back of her neck as he spoke. She sighed quietly.

"We'd never had the time until now." She said solemnly. Sensing the hint of sadness in her tone, James tsk'd his tongue and stepped in front of her, lifting her chin with gentle fingers.

"We've waited for a long while, Lily. Be happy for me. Come on, smile." James lowered his hands to her waist and pinched. Lily jumped and her shout of surprise turned into a giggle. "There's that beautiful smile I love."

"You flatter me too much," Lily playfully shoved him away. Lily let out a long breath. "It's just a shame your parents won't be able to celebrate with us." James' chest squeezed and he nodded against his wife-to-be's back.

"I wish they could be here too." It happened so quickly. His parents became gravely ill and passed within months. There was no cure. It was a bitter-sweet ordeal. So much pain was forgotten as their lives ended. James had cried. Lily and his friends had been by his side through it all.

"We'll think of them," Lily comforted, grabbing his hands from her sides and guiding them around her back and laid her head against his chest. James hugged her tightly.

"Do you think Sirius and Calysta will be next?" James asked, willing to lighten the mood. Lily laughed heartily.

"I hope so. The man's crazy not to ask her already! What are they up to anyways?" Lily wondered. James recalled the last letter they'd owled to the Potter's.

"They're visiting some small town where Death Eaters were recently spotted. I think they've got a lead." James told. Lily groaned shortly.

"They'll be here for the wedding, right?" Her voice was hopeful.

"Sirius is my best man! He'll be there. Besides, Calysta wouldn't miss it for the world." James confirmed with a firm nod of his head.

James had not seen his mates in person for over three months. Sirius and Calysta volunteered to follow lead upon lead having to do with her mother once the Order had caught wind of the woman. Sirius often told them that Calysta was growing more frustrated by the day. James and Lily both were willing to stop their own Order work to have their wedding. It would bring everyone back together, and give the Order members something to look forward to other than catching dark wizards. Some light and love was needed in the overwhelming gloom. And they got just that.

Lights glimmered around them, floating balls of light rose towards the ceiling. Some sparkled yellow, others light peach. James' tie was the same color. And Lily. Lily was even more beautiful than words could describe. It felt better than anyone could admit to be dressed up in fine clothes again. Their friends arrived earlier that night in a flurry of long-awaited hugs and stories.

"Lily, you look stunning!" Calysta gushed, covering her mouth with her hands. A discolored line was seen lining her bare left forearm where her sleeve was rolled up; the scar still dark and jagged even after two years of healing. Lily hugged her tightly.

"Where's your boyfriend at? I have to congratulate him on his speech. It was delightful." Lily laughed. Her long-sleeved, silk dress flowed against the ground of the dark-wood floor in a trail after them, sweeping away cloth rose petals that littered the floor. Her hair was done up in large waves. Calysta's three-piece suit matched accordingly to Lily's chosen accent colors; a blush pink with her hair falling down her back in a thick braid holding it together. Calysta's gold-painted nails wrapped around Lily's wrist as she and James were guided through a small, private gathering of people; mainly people of the Order.