Two: Sirius

SIRIUS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The room had a nice warmth to it. Not just the fire's heat, but the comforting feeling of his friends' support. The four Marauder boys shared a room all together. It had one bed, James', but there was also a futon that was able to turn into a bed and an over-stuffed recliner chair. Peter was the smallest so he took the chair; Sirius and Remus shared the futon, and James took the bed of course. Calysta was offered the spare room across the hall. Sirius was the last one awake, staring blankly up at the dark ceiling.

*

"Sirius, tuck in your tie," Walburga Black snapped at her son. "Like Regulus." She pointed her slim finger at her younger son. Sirius rolled his eyes as a gesture to his brother. Regulus smirked at his older sibling, laying a napkin on his lap.

"Like Regulus." Sirius repeated under his breath, mocking his mother's tone. His mother straightened her back and ordered a house elf to start dinner. The food was brought out in a rush. It was nothing unusual. There was the pudding, the smoked ham, and soups. Sirius willed himself just to get through dinner, then he could leave for Cal's.

"Please, Sirius, try to look like your enjoying yourself." His father said to him then, clearly tired of his son's behavior. How could Sirius enjoy himself when he dreaded being there? He was anything but wanted at that table. A Muggle could see that Sirius was barely tolerated in his own home.

*

Sirius sat up from the covers, shaking himself free of them. His bare feet tip toed on the cold floor, relaxing as they reached a rug at the foot of the mattress. He shrugged on a robe, not bothering to tie it closed.

*

Sirius shoved food into his mouth, trying his best to block out the conversation of the rest of his family.

"I agree, mother, Muggleborns are polluting the school. They make learning more difficult with their Muggle distractions. It's such a bother to see great wizard potential go to waste with the half bloods! Supplies wasted on people with Muggle background." Regulus stated proudly. 'Always have to be the pet of the family, don't you, Regulus?' Sirius let out an exasperated breath. His mother flicked her eyes over to him.

"You know that is correct. Pure blooded wizards should be the main priority of the school. The best interests have always been to keep pure bloods in the highest honor. You should be proud, Sirius," 

Sirius raised his eyebrows. "Proud of my family's racist judgment and ridicule? No thanks." He growled. His father dropped his fork on his plate, making a sound that Sirius cringed at.

"Do not talk to your mother that way!" He demanded, glaring at his son. Sirius pursed his lips to prevent himself from saying something he would regret. "It's just like the message the Dark Lord has been spreading: Muggles need to know their place. We're supposed to accept them? We say not! Don't let dirty blood wash away the original purpose of magic. It's only for the purest of wizards, for pure wizards will always have the highest place among others." His father blabbed.

"Anyone who has magical blood should have the honor of learning magic! Magic is already a rare privilege, don't take it away from people who have the talent and ability to do it!" Sirius argued passionately. His mother and father gave him piercing stares. Sirius looked between them before throwing his utensils on the table. He stood up so forcefully his chair was knocked over backwards.

*

Twisting the gold-painted door knob, Sirius crept out the of bedroom and crossed silently to the other side of the hall. A faint stream of light spilled from under the door of Calysta's room. Sirius raised his knuckle to the wood and gave a few soft taps.