Twenty-Five: James

JAMES

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

James' hands were laced with Lily's as they sat on the couch together at the Potter's house late on Christmas afternoon. Everyone had been with their families for the day but came to visit James and Sirius later in the evening. Well, just James at the moment. Remus and James convinced Sirius to find Calysta Christmas Eve.

"Ja-ames!" Lily sang, coming from the kitchen with two mugs of hot chocolate. James licked his lips at the steaming cup as he took it from Lily's hands. Her red Santa hat with a bell on the end tingled when she fell into the couch, facing him.

"Li-ly!" James sang back to her. She smiled and kissed him softly. When she pulled back, she kept eye contact with him as she took a sip. The cup lowered to reveal a white, foamy mustache on her upper lip. James smirked.

"You've got somethin' there. Let me get it," He whispered, leaning in to kiss her again. They would have met in the middle if Peter and Remus hadn't strolled into the middle of the room, carrying a box or two each.

"Oh, sorry, mate." Remus flicked his eyes away from the couple, and Peter became interested in his feet. James made sure Lily wasn't looking before throwing them both a scolding glare.

"What's up?" Lily erased the awkwardness of the walk-in. Remus snatched a thin envelope off Peter's pile of boxes and handed it to James.

"From Sirius." Remus nodded towards it.

James used his wand to rip open the seal and read the neatly-folded paper quickly. He sighed and slowly took his glasses off and kissed his fingertips, then raised them in the air; Lily suddenly became giddy when she leaned over him to read the writing. "You'll never guess what's just happened."

"What?" Remus inquired; both him and Peter looked at him, mildly startled. James flipped the paper over with his fingers so the words faced the others.

"Calysta and Sirius. They're back together!" Lily answered, the words more of a gasp. Remus and Peter's eyes widened. James was beaming. Lily excitedly grabbed his arm and gave it a squeeze. Peter's eyes kept glancing at the window like he was nervous about something. James let it be, however, in the light of his best mate getting his girl back.

"We've got to see them!" Lily pleaded.

"Sirius says they'll be here soon," James exclaimed. Remus smiled.

"I'll get extra mugs ready," He told them before busying himself with preparing hot chocolate.

By the time he was finished, the mugs sat cooling very slowly on the table top. A knock at the door came and they rushed at it, throwing it open. Doing so made the last two Marauders jump in surprise.

"Bloody hell, mate." James said out right. Sirius cocked an eyebrow at him.

"Bloody hell what?" Sirius asked. Calysta leaned her head on his shoulder and his face reddened slightly. "Never mind."

"Why didn't you come home?" James asked. Sirius rolled his eyes.

"You sound like my mum." He snickered, whisking off his scarf and hanging it on a hook beside the door. Calysta's frilly, vintage coat followed. An inward gag went off in James' head; girls and their fashion sense never ceased to confuse him. Lily, however, looked at it with interest.

"Merry Christmas!" Calysta said, one-by-one hugging each of them and returning to Sirius' side. They looked at each other and James knew by the look on Sirius' face that he was feeling his best again.

"Merry Christmas," They chorused in reply. Lily brought two snowman-shaped mugs to them both. Calysta took it gratefully, handing the other to her boyfriend. James noted how Sirius hadn't let go of her since they arrived. He shrugged to himself; Sirius was only making sure she wouldn't get away again.