Seven: James

JAMES

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Much had happened during the last five months of sixth year. So much that Sirius had nearly punched his brother, another Slytherin got kicked in the shins, and uneasy silence; a lot of silence in general. James shook his head as he thought about everything in his darkened dorm room. Cramming for N.E.W.T.S. consumed most of the Marauder's time, and the stress levels were high. This meant students snapped at people when they normally wouldn't.

"I swear we didn't learn this." James pulled his glasses off, reclining back in his chair and raking his hair back. Sirius had a textbook laying open on his face as he gently rocked the chair on its two back legs.

"You're telling me, mate. How am I supposed to know about ancient troll marriages?" He huffed. Remus snorted.

"We spent a whole week on this, Padfoot." Remus tapped the side of his face with his pen.

"Well, I got a bit distracted with Calysta arguing with me on the information." Sirius's words held sarcasm. James raised his eyebrows but kept his gaze on the random book page in front of him.

"Where is she anyways?" Peter chimed in, resting his chin on the table; his arm laid out in front of him.

"Merlin knows..." Sirius mumbled.

"I thought she was going to meet us back here after dinner?" Remus looked up curiously. Sirius threw one of his hands in the air.

"She said that the other day too, but she didn't show." He sighed exaggeratedly.

"Are you two alright?" Peter asked cautiously, daring to glance at Sirius. The boy nodded, as if not completely convinced.

"As far as I know," Sirius said. "But she doesn't like to talk much anymore. Not after her dad was put in Azkaban." Sirius twirled his quill in his fingertips.

"Her dad went to Azkaban?" Remus, James, and Peter asked in unison, their voices astonished. Sirius gave them an odd look.

"Yes! You knew this already!" Sirius groaned. James shook his head vigorously.

"We didn't hear any of this! When did it happen? It wasn't in the paper." He asked, his glasses falling on the ground from the desk surface. Sirius blinked, unbelieving.

"Last week. Did Cal not tell you?" Sirius asked slowly. Remus shook his head, no longer having interest in the textbook sitting open in his lap.

"No!" The three exclaimed in unison again. Sirius' eyes widened.

"I would've thought she'd tell you," Sirius shook his head and took a pause. "Really though, that's something she would have shared with all of us."

"I guess not." Peter seemed bummed about it. After an awkward glance at each other, they all went back to their work, only disrupted again by the vibrating toll of the bell signalling ten in the evening.

"Is it really that late?" Remus stretched his back, looking over the couch to see the clock. The portrait then swung open, allowing Calysta to shuffle in. She looked like she didn't want to be bothered. But being the friends they were, the Marauder boys all stood and followed her up the stairs to the girls' dorms. She stopped midway through, whirling on them.

"Will you tell me why you're following me?" She asked curtly, hugging her arms around herself. Sirius stepped forward and her eyes met his impatiently.

"We just want to know where you've been hiding." He reached out his hand and touched her arm. Calysta stayed still. James barely remembered the last time she let him touch her at all without excusing herself from the room. It hurt Sirius, and James wanted to tell her off for it, and to remind them they were all friends. Then again, he was ready to tell anyone off recently.